How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Do you think it is a good idea to install windows with all drivers and programs i need and make a backup on the whole "C" partition and when i have to reinstall the windows just to restore the partition?

Or it is better when i have to reinstall windows to delete and format the partition and make a clean install?

Also, is it possible to integrate in the source windows files installation files of programs and during the installation to have option to choose which programs i want to be installed?

Edited by user999

These are the recent log files.

I can't see any clue in them for something wrong in regards to CDFS. I'd ignore this for now unless another report comes up.

I created new installation usb and this time i integrated only the mass storage driver pack but it still prompts for manual install of the intel matrix storage driver. I will leave it like this. It is not a big problem just it is inconvenient.

I believe that's the same issue with the one a few posts above with newest mass storage DP. Text mode uses iastor7.sys, during PNP detection in GUI mode iastor.inf is read and it references iastor.sys, not iastor7.sys, setup prompts where the file is.

Do you think it is a good idea to install windows with all drivers and programs i need and make a backup on the whole "C" partition and when i have to reinstall the windows just to restore the partition?

Or it is better when i have to reinstall windows to delete and format the partition and make a clean install?

The former. Install and tune everything and make an image of that partition.

Also, is it possible to integrate in the source windows files installation files of programs and during the installation to have option to choose which programs i want to be installed?

There are number of solutions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/89-nlite/

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/93-windows-post-install-wizard-wpi/

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/129-hfslip/

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/126-windows-xp-powerpacker/

to mention a few..

Text mode uses iastor7.sys, during PNP detection in GUI mode iastor.inf is read and it references iastor.sys, not iastor7.sys, setup prompts where the file is.

It doesn't prompt to the right directory. It shows this path:

C:\\windows\oem\

if i remember correctly.

But when i click OK it doesn't install the driver because i guess the driver is not there. And i have to browse for the driver on the usb drive.

I am using the second method when integrating the driver packs with DriverBase and i integrate all packs available. I hope this is the right method.

Text mode uses iastor7.sys, during PNP detection in GUI mode iastor.inf is read and it references iastor.sys, not iastor7.sys, setup prompts where the file is.

It doesn't prompt to the right directory. It shows this path:

C:\\windows\oem\

if i remember correctly.

But when i click OK it doesn't install the driver because i guess the driver is not there. And i have to browse for the driver on the usb drive.

I am using the second method when integrating the driver packs with DriverBase and i integrate all packs available. I hope this is the right method.

If that is true then the path is wrong. The double-slash needs to be single. C:\\windows\oem\ C:\windows\oem\

That is the root cause of the problem.

Our DriverPacks (Mass Storage) include both iastor.sys and iastor7.sys in the \D\M\I7 folder for use by the XP installer. As long as the path is set correctly, both files will be found.

DriverPacks support thread: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6132

• 2 weeks later...

Hi good utility but I keep getting an error when trying to add WinXP with SP3 slipstreamed

I seem to be able to add XP3 with SP2, but tried different sources with SP3 it just doesnt like it..

I get the "AutoIT Error"

Line 28587 (File "c:\users\admin\desktop\WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta8_x64.exe"):

Error Subscript used with non-Array variable

Im using Win7 x64 with the x64 version utility, copying to a 1TB HDD..

log file attached seems like when it tries to copy the files it throws the error

Any advice appreciated,

WinSetupFromUSB.rar

Interesting... :unsure:

Can you check if there is any empty subfolder of H: and delete it?

There is something which breaks the function which makes the list of files and folders to be copied. Program does not distinguish between SP2, SP3 and so on, SP level is obtained and used only to make the relevant folders and boot menu name.

Interesting... :unsure:

Can you check if there is any empty subfolder of H: and delete it?

There is something which breaks the function which makes the list of files and folders to be copied. Program does not distinguish between SP2, SP3 and so on, SP level is obtained and used only to make the relevant folders and boot menu name.

Thank you for the help - After I found no blank folders, I compared the SP2 ISO with SP3 and saw there was AMD64 folder.

I created AM64 folder in root and placed the file "TXTSETUP.SIF" inside, it then stopped the error message.

Is this where the program looks to create the boot menu name? because this is x86 XP which has TXTSETUP.SIF inside \i386\

also will this mess up the XP install later on?

When I removed the AMD64 folder and tested, error was back o_o

I am getting similar error now copying UBCD4Win :}

However the AutoIT error Line is 28748, I copied the AMD64 folder to it, but did not fix this time..

The log does not show any issues, ends with:

2012/07/18 00:13:16- grub4dos installed

2012/07/18 00:13:16- Preparing PE source

...any ideas?

edit: ucbd source list attached

ubcdsource.rar

Edited by insomniac987

Download and extract the file attached and place it next to the original program files. Run it and test with Windows XP source, not PE, and post the resulting log file.

Do you have rights to write to the user's temp folder, typically C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp? Is it moved or restricted in any way? Is C: drive or wherever Windows is full or nearly full?

And yes, adding AMD64 folder would mess things up, source will be assumed to be x64 making the relevant changes.

Why does your XP SP2 source have AMD64 folder? :ph34r:

WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta8_testINS.7z

Hi ilko_t

- C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp is present and accessiable (logged in as Admin)

- C: contains windows and has 13Gb free space

- SP2 is winXP 64bit, SP3 is 32bit hence the amd64

I have run WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta8_testINS.exe from multiple paths same error, e.g c:\ , desktop, within the source dir,

log file for this is attached

thanks

WinSetupFromUSB_TestINS.rar