Why do you still use 9X

win95guy

Furthermore, when actual counterfeit money is detected it is a minor affair that is handled by the locals (no doubt some SS folks get notified though). I mean, we can really tell what the priorities are these days.

OT, and JFYI, in this "strange" event:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685

the direct intervention of the Federals (Secret Service) was reported as needed in order to luckily clear the matter.

jaclaz

I'm sorry if the thread has gone out of topic because I mentioned RIAA. Maybe it was a not very fortunate way to explain what I meant. I'll try to seek a better fortune by putting it into different words, leaving aside RIAA, with my excuses to to them and to you.

Microsoft is the author of all Windows OS. But you need hardware and drivers to run no matter what Windows version.

If the hardware and drivers providers don't supply new hardware and new drivers needed for a new Windows version it will not be sold very long, no matter how great the efforts of Microsoft have been or how good is the product.

On the other side, if the hardware and drivers providers withdraw from stores the spare parts and stop the supply of the existing drivers for any unsupported Windows version we users earlier or later are forced to throw away our machines and buy whatever they allow us to buy.

And the worst of it all: Microsoft is an american corporation subject to democratic laws, but about 85% of the hardware, drivers and peripherals have their first sales chain link in asian countries where controls are almost unexistent and where only exceptionally you can find somebody who ever paid a license to Microsoft.

This way we all, Microsoft and we users, are in the hands of the chains of suppliers of hardware, drivers and peripherals. They have in their hands the life of any new or old OS.

If the question were "Why did you stop using Windows 98?", most of the users who left it would answer "Because I could not find spare parts" or/and "Because I bought a new preinstalled computer".

The chains of suppliers have common interests, and by going in the same direction they are the ones who always obtain the highest profits, not only from the sale of the low price obtained asian manufactured hardware, but also from the important commercial margins in the sale of the preinstalled OS bought from Microsoft.

Edited by cannie

Excellent. The man should have paid with a credit card or a check, so that the U.S. government knows how he is spending his money. People paying cash in the U.S. might have something to hide, might be potential criminals. The U.S. is on its way to a totalitarian democracy, with police gone haywire: Just on a single day, on August 14, Bob Dylan was arrested for walking suspiciously in a street, and India's most popular actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for 3 hours when arriving in the U.S.

While I was archiving some older CP/M floppies, I come across an interesting aspect of CP/M: CP/M files have no modification etc. dates. With DOS the totalitarian surveillance of the individual began: file dates, index.dat files, cookies, spyware, software calling home, and who knows what else. Win98 has a much smaller dose of all that than WinXP, Vista or Windows 7.

In a couple of years Windows 98 may become a luxury like a Swiss bank account. But also, somebody browsing then the internet with Win98 might raise suspicions with U.S. surveillance.

Edited by Multibooter

If the RIAA ever had the factic power that the hardware and driver providers have today, then the Bible, all Shakespeare works and all Beethoven music, to mention only three authors, would be withdrawn from all stores and not sold any more because "their lifecycle is over and they are no more supported by their authors God, Shakespeare and Beethoven".

Well the RIAA doesn't have this power and won't. Its controlled by NASCAP, but they are bound by US Copyright laws. Anything within the free domain is fair game. I've had to deal with NASCAP in the past, and its just plain annoying.

However the main point of using an older OS still comes down to one point. You only really need what can run your apps. There is nothing wrong with using Win 9x at all. Some people do it because they have no need to upgrade. My main upgrading point was always because I wanted to use a certain program and, at the time, it couldn't be run on an older OS. Nowadays, there are many programs and VMs available that allow older programs to run on newer OSes, but at one point those were not available. And you must remember, a lot of the time, people who use Win 9x likely also have other computers using something newer.

The plain reason I don't use Windows 98 anymore is that compared to XP it's uptime is terrible, it's a pain in the arse to run on newer hardware and new devices either don't work with it or require too much faffing around. That said, I am liking XP so much that I will probably milk it for all its worth for years to come now.

Just on a single day, on August 14, Bob Dylan was arrested for walking suspiciously in a street, and India's most popular actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained and questioned for 3 hours when arriving in the U.S.

I guess that one has to learn to dress "properly" and walk "unsuspiciously".

Hey, wait a minute, wasn't this what our mommies always told us? :w00t:

I would pick some other examples to sustain the theory, however, both the ones you mentioned seem to me more like examples of lese majesty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse_majesté

A couple of stars have been treated by some government officers just like they were "normal" people.

I find preoccupying when a government officer treats "normal" people violating their human rights or dignity, keeping a known actor a couple of hours in the airport is nothing when compared to this:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/0...light/?apage=13

(where honestly the Government Officers after an initial hiccup, actually tried to solve the problem)

jaclaz

Are we talking about the ever ominous cloud now?

You know, I'm contemplating getting my hands on my parents PC when they get their laptop. It's a potential candidate for full Windows 98 compatibility. Sometimes I miss the ease of use, launching apps near instantly, getting stuff done, the familiarity and the reliability. I also have a copy of Office 2000 lying around, which is more than perfect for all my typing needs. It would make a perfect work machine. Not to mention all the addons posted on these forums, particularly Tihiy's efforts to make 98 even more reliable. I don't know why I'd pick it over xp (I don't for most tasks), I just find it easier to work with for some reason. I love it! :P

I also don't see the appeal of some kind of centralised computer, like a bunch of dumb terminals connected to Microsoft. How would you run your apps? What about portability, like using your dumb laptop in a place without a wireless network? Unless you enjoy 3G internet...

If such a thing happens, it would need the full support of both Microsoft and Apple. If one did it, users would flock to the other, even in Microsoft's case, because they wouldn't have application compatibility to back them up. If they did co-operate, then yes, it would be forced upon all but the Linux community. But dumb terminals aren't going to sell well, so OEMs would back out. Where would that lead? Probably to a lot of NT5.x/6.x users, and probably a few 9x users, all running on custom built or older PCs. 9x would indeed be golden in this era, as it has no activation to worry about, tons of community support, etc etc.

There's my little rant, enjoy. :hello:

The plain reason I don't use Windows 98 anymore is that compared to XP it's uptime is terrible,

What do you consider to be "terrible uptime"? I get 3-4 days out of this FE unit without needing to reboot. That's without using KernelEX or the GDI heap extender.

new devices either don't work with it or require too much faffing around.

Don't take the vendors word for it regarding 98 compatibility. All of the hardware (internal and external) I've added to this 98FE unit installed easily and worked properly the first time. Most all of it was supposedly incompatible.

@RIAA:

yes OT but NASCAP is more for companies to worry about. They have no power over individuals, thats where RIAA takes over.

@uptime:

IDK how to respond to that. As I've posted before (perhaps elsewhere) my Win98 pc has my record for having a 3 month uptime. I usually have to reboot my XP computer before the 98 PC. Then again, also consider that I don't use my 98 PC as my main PC. It has its roles that it fulfills and thats it. For example, except for an emergency (like XP computer isn't working) my 98 PC does not go on the internet. Or at least with a web browser. I use my 98 PC primarily to be a dedicated server, so yes it does actually access the internet.

I usually have to reboot my XP computer before the 98 PC.

I agree with you: I doubleboot Windows 98 and XP since long ago and I've had the same experience.

I'm sure that most users who have abandoned totally Windows 98 were forced to do it, against their will, by the lack of spare parts and drivers, due to the agressive sales policy followed by the commercial pool formed by Microsoft and the hardware providers.

BTW as you may have seen in this week TV news this pool is considered to be a threat to civil liberties by the Free Software Foundation (Boston, MA) in their present campaign "windows7sins" against upgrade to Windows 7.

Edited by cannie

Are we talking about the ever ominous cloud now?

<snip> I also don't see the appeal of some kind of centralised computer, like a bunch of dumb terminals connected to Microsoft. How would you run your apps? What about portability, like using your dumb laptop in a place without a wireless network? Unless you enjoy 3G internet...

<snip>

Hope this isn't Off topic, but it seems that the 'cloud' system that lacks 'appeal' (I concur) is going to come whether we like it or not.

The plain reason I don't use Windows 98 anymore is that compared to XP it's uptime is terrible,

What do you consider to be "terrible uptime"? I get 3-4 days out of this FE unit without needing to reboot. That's without using KernelEX or the GDI heap extender.

new devices either don't work with it or require too much faffing around.

Don't take the vendors word for it regarding 98 compatibility. All of the hardware (internal and external) I've added to this 98FE unit installed easily and worked properly the first time. Most all of it was supposedly incompatible.

My XP system at home has been steaming along for nearly a month now. And given it's a laptop with a battery (they make great arbitrary power supplies) providing I don't BSOD I am confident I could run it into next year... literally.

A lot of devices I have don't work with Windows 98 because I have tried.

Edited by JustinStacey.x

Since I happen to have a surplus attribute in my first drawer:

http://www.msfn.org/board/needing-help-xp-...303-page-5.html

:whistle:, I will call the above "ambiguous". :realmad:;)

Do you mean that:

Or you mean that you think that:

A lot of devices I have don't work with Windows 98 because I have tried (installing them and failed).

Or you mean that you know that:

A lot of devices I have don't work with Windows 98 because I have tried (installing them and failed and I am infallible).

Also, how big is "a lot"?

Does it include USB and Firewire Mass Storage devices?

And eSata?

Or only HID devices?

:unsure:

....ambiguous....

Hey, it didn't have time enough for even cooling down a bit in my drawer, it came back as hot as it was received....

:P

jaclaz

Call it as ambiguous as you like.

I ain't spending more than 5 minutes faffing around trying to get a flash drive to work in Windows 98 when it will be ready in ten seconds on an XP or 2000 box.

P.R.O.D.U.C.T.I.V.I.T.Y. - Learn about it.

I don't see why JustinStacey.x needs to defend himself because the programs he use will not adapt to Windows 98.

We all use our computers differently. We should not pass judgement just because someone did not have stellar results using an older operating system with his programs.