Why do you still use 9X

win95guy

We should all stop using computers and switch to pens. Pens are inherently more secure then a computer according to the logic applied by the Windows 9x fanatics. Because of course, the lack of any features whatsoever makes the pen the most secure option. Let's not forget, since you can't spellcheck with your pen, you're being more productive and since you're the only one with a pen, you don't need to bother yourself with sharing notes with anyone who'd be so stupidly naive to use an environmentally friendly digital file instead.

Edited by jcarle

We should all stop using computers and switch to pens. Pens are inherently more secure then a computer according to the logic applied by the Windows 9x fanatics. Because of course, the lack of any features whatsoever makes the pen the most secure option. Let's not forget, since you can't spellcheck with your pen, you're being more productive and since you're the only one with a pen, you don't need to bother yourself with sharing notes with anyone who'd be so stupidly naive to use an environmentally friendly digital file instead.

Why the one "or" the other? Why not the one "and" the other?.

I have a pen, and Windows 98, and Windows XP, and a car, and a bed, and a WC, and I love them all.

Well, I'll confess you all my hidden secret: I try to keep attentive to use each of these things for its own finality... :thumbup

Edited by cannie

I would rather a feather and ink... it even runs out faster.

That's OLD :w00t: technology: WORM.

You need to evolve to Re-Writable media: the pencil (+eraser) ;).

@JustinStacey.x

Actually the thread was started as "Why do you still use 9X", there is no reason why someone NOT using it should post here, on the other hand, and just for the sake of debating, if NT superiority is a "self-evident truth", there is no need whatsoever to trying to affirm it. ;)

I guess that the whole problem about the two "factions" is that both think that a single OS should do everything perfectly and have ALL the features in the world, but what I don't understand is the need to actually convince the other part of the superiority of one over the other.

And BTW I don't see much new things that haven't been already said in one of the similar threads:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37402

JFYI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...7402&st=411

jaclaz

This reminds me of the PC vs Mac wars. I've heard the same thing from all of them. "XP sucks, it's got no security". "Vista sucks, it's got DRM, its bloated and it's got no security!". I'm so very sorry to even utter those words, but it's true. This is what it sounds like. This has definitely gone off the topic of why you still use 9x and become "why the hell do you old folks still use such an outdated piece of crap?", as all of the NT users suddenly pop onto this part of the forums to express their hatred of 9x. That doesn't apply to all of you, and some are making legitimate arguments. These folks, I commend. But can I humbly ask that we get back on topic and stop persuading 9x folk that their operating system is a steaming pile of crap. Don't get around it by saying you're just posting it's flaws, because by doing so and telling people that NT is so much better, you are immediately trying to convince 9x users to upgrade. You don't have to spell it out for them.

It's all about choice, if they want to use their legacy operating systems, don't stop them and certainly don't bash them.

I'm sorry to have to post this, but I'd feel pretty insulted if someone came knocking telling me that XP was a steaming pile of crap. I guess someone from the NT crowd has to stick up for the 9x users.

While I do firmly believe that when the machines rise up and enslave humanity one of their major grievances will be "The humans made us run Win 9x", Slayed is right we do need to get back on topic. Your welcome to create another topic in the appropriate forum entitled "NT OSes are bloated" or "20 reasons why Win 9x is insecure" as long as you follow the rules (particularly Rule 7b) but for now, lets keep all future replies on the topic of "Why do you still use 9X" or well have to shut it down.

If I'm allowed to make one last post (because it's been in my head all day while working), I don't believe in forced upgrading. One should be able to try the new version, and if it has things that are useful to you, you should upgrade. If it doesn't bring anything to the table that you need, you should be able to not upgrade.

The problem with Windows is it always comes with a lot of new features you don't need, with maybe one or two you might need. The best example is the jump from XP to Vista.

Finally, we wouldn't still be using DOS. People have chosen to run Windows 3.11 of their own volition. They wanted a GUI. People will upgrade if they think it's worthwhile.

Edited by BenoitRen

I would rather a feather and ink... it even runs out faster.
Nah! They come with too much bloat (barbs and afterfeather). An fLited version might do, if you must really use them. But it's undeniable that *the never surpassed razor-edge technology* for WORM data storage remains clay tablets, which have 88 Mh MTBF: you burn them once and they outlast any other common media.

I guess someone from the NT crowd has to stick up for the 9x users.

That's appreciated, but we 9X users are used to hearing all that rhetoric. MS, security companies, "experts", and all the NT fanboys/puppets have been trying for years to convince us that 9X is so vulnerable, so unstable, so incompatible, and whatever else they can think of. Remember the WMF exploit? While the WMF exploit was hammering NT systems, this 98FE unit was used to capture and submit a new variant that was unrecognized by every scanner on VT. Of course, the first thing said about 9X and this exploit was all scare tactics, and totally wrong. Quoted from http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2006-01-01

If you're still running on Win98/ME, this is a watershed moment: we believe (untested) that your system is vulnerable and there will be no patch from MS. Your mitigation options are very limited. You really need to upgrade.

This is not an isolated incident. We've been hearing "doesn't work with 98" in regards to hardware and software. All of the external hardware I'm using supposedly doesn't work with this FE box, the external hard drive, the USB datafax modem, the webcam, the card reader, even the USB card card itself. If it was all from one vendor, I'd easily believe it was an error of omission, but each item is from a different vendor. I find it hard to believe that they all made the same mistake, especially when several items supposedly work with 98SE.

The same thing happens with software. I'm using several apps that aren't supposed to work with 98FE. I'm not using KernelEX on this unit. Then there's software that would work just fine, and does when the artificial incompatibility in the installer is removed.

If it were just a few isolated incidents, I'd accept it as oversights, errors of omission, etc. The sheer amount of mis-information and false incompatibility regarding 98, especially 98FE makes me believe that someone considers its very existence to be a problem. For me, that's one more reason in addition to all the others to stay with 98.

Reasons I keep using 98FE:

1, Even with a 366MHZ processor, it's quick. Boots up in 45 seconds.

2, Has remained clean for almost 5 years without an AV in spite of being used by several people.

3, Stable. Even with 160MB RAM, it easily runs 3 days or longer without rebooting. Haven't seen a BSOD in months.

4, All of the software I need runs on it.

5, I use 98 to perform backups and other work on 2K, and vice versa.

6, My preferred encryption program runs on 98, but not on NT systems.

7, A simple batch file called from autoexec.bat enables me to boot up with a clean and optimized registry every time.

8, Every piece of external hardware I've plugged into it has worked properly the first time. A card reader I bought for a friend works better on my FE box than it does on their XP.

9, Since it's unsupported, I don't have to deal with WGA or any other anti-piracy schemes. I don't have to let it connect to MS at all, unlike their newer stuff.

10, I can access, delete, or replace any system file with no interference from Windows without having to use a live CD or a separate OS.

My 98FE box does everything I ask of it, and only what I ask of it, nothing more. It's been fast, dependable, rock stable, and resistant to every exploit and malicious page I've found, all on hardware that a newer "superior" OS wouldn't be able to run on. I can't think of one good reason to change.

I use Windows 98SE to do development work. The open architecture makes it easier to write and test programs, especially ones that interact with the Kernel. It is also easier to reverse engineer the Kernel. The lack of DRM makes it easier to move a test configuration from machine to machine. Other than browsing or watching Video, I spend most of my time in DOS boxes. I stripped the Compiler and Linker out of Visual Studio so I write and compile C++ Programs from a DOS Box. No more large Project files, just a one line configuration string in the Source file.

Security has not been an issue, since I do not make a habit of running questionable downloads. The only malware that got into my system was a Vitro worm that came from an infected XP computer on my LAN. The infected program promptly crashed harmlessly, alerting me to it's presence. I now sell a disinfector on my website to XP users who have a big problem with this worm.

Many of the limitations of Windows 9x I have already overcome. I can use up to 4GB of RAM. I am no longer limited to 1GB. I can use Hard drives up to 2TB, SATA as well as IDE. When hard drives larger than 2TB become available, I am ready. I have RAMDisks that use RAM above 4GB. I haven't seen any for XP. These Patches and others significantly close the performance gaps between Windows 9x and XP.

I still use my Amiga, and occasionally write code for it. It was way ahead of Windows, so no more cracks about Amigas.

Well, it's definitely not one or the other for me, I choose to use both 9x and NT.

Which leads me to a real important question that has bugged me for a while ...

How can I change this OS thing over here to say BOTH Win9x and WinXP Pro ???

<------ Over Here :hello:

EDIT: trying to point to it better

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I use Windows 98 for four main reasons:

A) Still remains the best interface/system/software to get my work done on

-Windows 98 plain and simple is a basic OS interface. It's basic, easy to navigate around, tweak any way I like it, and as others have said, should issues arise, much easier to fix from the DOS prompt or boot diskette. No doubt for new media and stuff, Vista/7 with newer hardware is the way to go, but for doing my work, I much prefer 98.

B) I have old games that require 98 to run

-Pretty much self explanatory. Simcopter/SC2K, RCT, etc... This will always be a reason to keep a 98 box around.

C) It runs just as well on this PIII as Vista does on my Core i7 (interface/usability wise)

-For day to day work, newer stuff leaves me no more productive, so I find myself saving my Core i7 machine for only media/engineering software.

D) I have software that was designed at the height of usability, before eye candy and other useless "enhancements" were added to newer versions of software. (ex. Office 97, does plenty for what I need in Word/Excel (I'll use PowerPoint 2007 if I need that). Photoshop 7 serves plenty more than what I need, and I also got it for much cheaper than any newer version, plus it maintains an easier interface than CS4. Outlook 98, probably the best version of Outlook Microsoft ever released if all you need is a rich POP3 client without all the other excessive features.

Why the one "or" the other? Why not the one "and" the other?.

I have a pen, and Windows 98, and Windows XP, and a car, and a bed, and a WC, and I love them all.

Well, I'll confess you all my hidden secret: I try to keep attentive to use each of these things for its own finality... :thumbup

I have a pen attached with a thread to my monitor screen. It's by far the most secure tool to take notes I need when I'm going away from the computer, no matter the OS.

It's much easier than typing them in notepad (some woul even use Word) copy the file to a usb stick, find another computer when to insert the usb stick, find the file on the usb stick etc etc.

I have access to paper even during ower outage or HDD failure or something.

I also don't need to wait one minute (two with vista) before starting to look for a document.

Pens are more productive than you think. It only depends on what you are writing for.

Finaly notes on paper are an absolute necessity to reinstall any windows OS properly.

Edited by Fredledingue