Why do you still use 9X

win95guy

I’ve noticed on this subject that the general wisdom is XP doesn’t run well on PIII era machines. I have two Celeron-S 1.4 ghz machines, one with XP and one with ME and both run well.

The Celeron-S are Tualatin cores, which beat low-end P4s. That's why they run so smooth. On a PIII under 933MHz XP won't run well. On my dual-PIII 700MHz chips overclocked to 933MHz on a Tyan Tiger 100, with 1GB SDRAM and a 320GB drive hooked via a PCI SATA card, it flies.

I don't know about the rest of you, but i for one am used to "instantaneous computing". It's not that XP doesn't run on a >933MHz PIII, it's that it won't do it smoothly. However, it does run well on two PIIIs. :)

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

I started reading, and gave up...

my reason for holding onto 98? I like knowing that my hardware is running full bore. If I got a 2.8Ghz cpu, I want to be able to USE the whole 2.8Ghz for a single task.

try doing that in xp. you got 15 things *always* running.

I started reading, and gave up...

my reason for holding onto 98? I like knowing that my hardware is running full bore. If I got a 2.8Ghz cpu, I want to be able to USE the whole 2.8Ghz for a single task.

try doing that in xp. you got 15 things *always* running.

Open Process Explorer. You have quite a number of tasks running in your 98 too. :) The ctrl-alt-del menu only shows applications. And XP can keep its major functions with just 8 processes. However 98 is still faster, no doubt about it. If you can still use it, keep using it. ;)

If you can still use it, keep using it. ;)

A wise advice.

An old proverb says: "Limit your needs and you will limit your worries". I have enough with Win98.

Edited by cannie

Heh heh.

I just wiped Vista and installed 98SE! Nice semi old computer with the old Via Hyperion 4-in-1 4.56v. Going back to that old Via set seems to have solved both of my long standing problems of needing to manually install an older vxd AGP driver and my Error loading device IOS popping up eventually no matter what and ruining Windows. Anything newer was less and less 9x compatible regardless of the ones listed at viaarena.com.

I've been using Debian Linux with a Vista dual-boot and never would go into Windows because of it being so annoyingly intrusive upon my time (hours of updating and satisfying its "Security Manager," hard drive churning for its previous file versions System Restore logging, etc.) Couldn't stand the thing.

And I've still got more Windows 98 era software that runs better or at least runs on 98 than it did on XP or Vista, though I had managed to get most stuff going even on Vista.

I'm also using the Mozilla SeaMonkey for the first time upon noticing that Firefox is warning of 9x incompatibility in a few months on Firefox 2. It's like an old friend! As close to the old Netscape as one can get these days. Essentially that's what it is, just stripped of the AOL stuff that appeared when they bought out Netscape.

Virtualbox is just too darned slow running a 98 guest on Linux or I might not have bothered. Glad I did though. 98SE is the only Windows I've actually enjoyed running over the years.

Edited by Eck

98SE is the only Windows I've actually enjoyed running over the years.

You are not the only one.

I'm sure you will enjoy it even more if you clone your installed W98 on another drive to have the possibility of booting it in that second drive to restore the original if needed. Very easy and it gives you a 100% security. I've used it for years. Look at this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Clone-Win98SE-on...-D-t118623.html

Best wishes. :hello:

My reasoning still stands. However, I stated it rather agressively in this rather old thread.

Though to summarize my statement (I apologize for the agressiveness in it ahead of time), here is the main part of it:

I will use 98se because I don't see the real point in upgrading. I've always been a minimalist whereas if I have something that handles all of my needs without having to dual-boot I'm all for it. If I can get that option in as small of a size and memory footprint as possible, even better. I just truely don't believe in newer always being better when the newer and better just doesn't handle what I need and want. Convinience and performance is key in my eyes.

Can I play all of my legacy games at a whim? YES

Can I play all of my legacy games without emulation (and on kali)? YES

Can I still use older versions of software that still do the same job as the newer? YES

Can I still play even the most recent of games and software? YES

Can I network over a lan and wireless flawlessly? YES

Can I host it as a full time personal webserver\fileserver? YES

At least half of those quests would end up with a no if i used anything newer such as windows xp. I would also be forced to dual boot which is something I didn't want to bother with in the firts place. Why end your session to change O/S just to do one thing when windows 98 can handle it all and then some?

I will still use windows 98se untill the last day I can use it no longer. 'Upgrading' to a supposedly newer but lesser OS is not my idea of an upgrade. Why shoudl I sacrifice additional disk space and ram for something 'just because its newer' and doesn't do what I need? I use multitudes of unsupported software and never complained about it. Sure, we can use a virtual pc but - why go through an extra 5+ steps to set it up virtually when you can just boot into it directly with no problems? Unless you really need to for other reasons I fully understand and Will not debate that as poeple will use what they want to use as they need to use it.

Again, i just do not see the need to shell out for an O/S that is a virtual downgrade in my eyes. More space use, more ram use, does less for me, runs slower, and provides more never-to-be-used features. Don't give me the dismissive 'use xp and nlite it' comments as I will just disregard it. Just because I can make it smaller won't hide the fact that it still doesn't do what I want when I want.

Sure, windows 98 may not be as 'secure' according to many people but have I been 'hacked' or whatever? Absolutely not. I run in my DMZ, I leave it running 24\7, I leave ports open for services I have running such as my webserver and ftp, I also have no firewall. By most if not all standards I'm wide open and just waiting to be 'hijacked'. However, it's yet to happen for the last 5 years...

Sure, windows 98 may not be as 'secure' according to many people but have I been 'hacked' or whatever?

That's what MS and security software vendors would like you to believe in order to separate you from your money. The only place 98 falls short in security is with local threats, where unauthorized people have access to the keyboard. Against threats from the net, 98 can be made very secure at little or no cost.

Rick

I stopped using antiviruses two years ago because they couldn't find anything ever. I run spybot once in a blue moon, and at worse, he finds three cookies.
With Win98 I only make on-demand scans of new downloads. Kaspersky detects in my eMule-downloads about 1-3 trojans per day, but these files get deleted right away. About 4 weeks ago I had made a complete scan of all files on the computer, and Kaspersky could not find any malware, even if the previous system-wide virus-check was made over a year ago!

What is worrying however, is that the current flood of trojans seems to overwhelm even Kaspersky: When I re-checked older eMule downloads of a year ago, Kaspersky identified a LOT of trojans in them, even if Kaspersky at the time of download issued a clean bill of health. My guess is that in every 20th software download with eMule, there is a not-yet-identified trojan.

Despite treading in sometimes very murky waters with Win98, my computers had not had a noticeable malware infection for several years. On the WinXP opsys on my computers I never had an infection since I have not set up an internet connection under XP, only under Win98.

I've got a FAST AVMaster (fully hardware based audio/video I/O, VxD drivers only) and I still need it.

Never got it working on 2k, XP or Linux.

That's one good reason for me, to keep 98SE alive.

And I am using Norton Ghost for image backups of all system partitions, including 2k SP4, XP Pro SP3 and Linux.

The fastest way I've ever seen. Works fine in the DOS box of '98SE.

Of course, I am not placing movies, disc images or other GB consumers on system partitions.

I am using the latest unofficial update from nandlstadt.com and nusb for years now.

Planning to put specs into my signature occasionally.

That's one good reason for me, to keep 98SE alive.

Most individual users of XP never needed really any upgrade at all, because Windows 98 SE was enough for their simple needs and definitely a very stable OS after many years of experience, enjoying thousands of software for everything which is not only compatible but designed for this OS. I wonder how many users of Win98 would have upgraded if they had not been forced by the pressure used by all means (preinstalled software, ads, lack of support, stop of drivers supply, and so on) to defend the economic interests of Microsoft, the hardware dealers, the computer retailers and maybe some other instances which take profit of the many new unknown backdoors. This multiple pressure created since 2001 a feeling of being a poor fellow, an oldfashioned foolish or even almost a sinner for not upgrading to XP among Windows 98 SE users , the same feeling that they try to expand now among XP users for not upgrading to Vista (does any normal app really need such a giant hardware and software amount?), even when on the other side they offer you as an advantage the possibility of "downgrading" to XP, and even running Windows 98 through a "virtual machine". IMO there is an "abuse of dominant position", as EU says, and not only in Europe.

Edited by cannie

I wonder how many users of Win98 would have upgraded if they had not been forced by the pressure used by all means (preinstalled software, ads, lack of support, stop of drivers supply, and so on) to defend the economic interests of Microsoft, the hardware dealers, the computer retailers and maybe some other instances which take profit of the many new unknown backdoors. This multiple pressure created since 2001...
US software released after Sepptember of that year may or may not contain special goodies. In any case, the US official agencies must be pleased that the relative secure Win98 has come into disuse. Edited by Multibooter

I don't like any Gruyère cheese OS.

The best way to avoid anyone using backdoors against your will and without your knowledge is not having any backdoor at all.

As it is commonly said, "your home is your castle".

Edited by cannie