multiple boot options from external USB HDD?

I have tried to use multiboot 10 to create a bootable external hard drive. I have the XP setup files on, which works, and I told it to create a partition for BartPE. When I boot from the drive, however, it always defaults to windows XP setup and does not give any option to boot into BartPE.

I have an idea (could be wrong) that the boot.ini may be configured incorrectly, but I don't know enough to be able to change it

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=10
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT
c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"
C:\btsec\PELDR.bs="5. BartPE - MINI XP"
C:\btsec\XATSP.bs="Attended Setup XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"

Obviously the ideal situation would be to be able to select whether to boot into BartPE or windows setup. An added bonus would be to be able to add various floppy disc images to it (for windows 98 and a couple of other utilities) and maybe ERD commander 2005...

I am also pretty new to this thing - I have had a dual-boot windows/linux machine before but that was all set up automatically, so really simple instructions = good as far as I'm concerned.

Most probably you chose a "wrong direction" when running the batch, in one of the choice menus.

Please describe which choices you chose or re-run the batch jolting them down and post them.

Also, you could upload the log file.

jaclaz

Most probably you chose a "wrong direction" when running the batch, in one of the choice menus.

Please describe which choices you chose or re-run the batch jolting them down and post them.

Also, you could upload the log file.

jaclaz

cheers for the reply...

unfortunately I took the drive home with me after work last week only to find that it would not boot *at all* on my own machine, and I haven't had time to try it again since. As soon as I get the chance I'll have another go and post a log file