Webcam in Windows 2000

Hi tomasz86, I really appreciate your efforts to help me. Unfortunately this driver didn't work either, Device Manager complains that it cannot find the information regarding the camera from the driver.

From the same Toshiba site I found lots of XP drivers, including a power saver. I managed to install that one, but it didn't help to bring the temperature down. The temperature with W2K has now settled around 58-60 degrees, if I manage to get it around 55 by idling, any activity like uTorrent immediately brings it back to the 60s. With Vista the temperature increases slower and decreases faster, the opposite to W2K.

I may test an XP installation just to see if the driver works or not (and how the temperatures compare with Vista and W2K). Too bad I don't have a license for my Toshiba, or is XP already considered abandonware? ;) I would prefer that to Vista, too.

On my HP notebook I have managed to get very similar functionality of each W2K, XP and Vista. I really like the way they offer the driver support. Of course the Toshiba laptop is newer, when W2K didn't even have any support left (besides this great community).

Satellite A200-1UW (Sorry, I had said Satellite A100 earlier, it is not printed anywhere else than the bottom of the laptop so when I first mentioned it I remembered incorrectly)

P/N PSAE3E

http://nordic.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/supportMyProduct.do?LNG=17&service=ND

Edit: parenthesis

Edited by piete

I looked into the driver details in Vista. Besides the uvcftr.sys, it mentions usbvideo.sys, which by googling is supposedly compatible only post-XPSP2. So this may be the reason for the difficulties. Do you think there is any hack to make this work?

I also found some discussion on an eeepc forum about getting the webcam work on W2K (such as http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=110637), and they did even report success. Naturally I downloaded every possible file I could find, but no luck, all the hacks must be camera-specific ones.

So I'm inclined to believe that the problem lies in usbvideo.sys. Naturally I tried to install it, with no success. So the nice people who do the hacks to enable things on W2K, is there a chance to make this work?

Edited by piete

You could try to copy the usbvideo.sys from XP to %systemroot%\system32\drivers manually and then try to install the extracted drivers which I uploaded above. If it doesn't work try to copy the usbvideo.sys file to the same folder as the webcam drivers are located and then try to install them using Device Manager.

Unfortunately no success. Funny thing was, that when I also put usbvideo.inf into the same folder, Device Manager preferred that and installed a lot of drivers among usbvideo.sys. I see if I find more recent versions of those in my XP computer. Anyway, Vista manages with 2 drivers, and I don't know if the direction of 5-6 drivers is the right one. But there won't be any harm trying.

• 1 month later...