Universal Disc Format

Does anyone else have a problem with UDF cd/dvd built on another computer, being able to read them in 98 windows. Have tried CDroller and Isobuster, but even thou the stand alone readers show the files are there, you can't open or copy them. Saids windows can see file. And in "My Computer" if you open the drive it show empty disc. Go to Walmart and read them fine?

Charlie

Tried them both, no change - can't read disk - shows to be blank - any other disk not UDF format it reads fine.

Have two cd/dvd drives - LG reads all formats. Also have Nero and it shows files on the disk, but I can't read with Nero.

Are you using UDF.VxD 4.10.2223 (Q310695)?

Yes, thats the version I have - is that the problem?

I don't think so, sorry... It was a long shot, but if you hadn't it, then it might be the solution, after all Q310695 was entitled: DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data... Well, anyway, now we cannot have any more details about it anymore, not even through the WayBack Machine, so the name of the MSKB article is all that remains.

Found a little more, so I reproduce it here, before it also disappears in the ether forever:

"SYMPTOMS: When you use a DVD player program to view DVD-ROM data (DVD content other than audio or video), some of the files may appear as white boxes, and the program may stop responding (hang)."
It seems the hang mentioned above is a BSOD.

So, it really doesn't resemble your problem, after all...

Later edit: Found a way to retrieve the MS KB310695! The WayBackMachine had it all along, all right! :P Turns out I wasn't as through in my searching as I intended to be... :blushing: But no, definitely your problem is not what's described there. :(

Edited by dencorso

Well I guess I'm the only one having this problem, must be something I've done to to the OS !

But maybe not in the way you expect. I was playing around with a Roxio UDF Reader for a standard PC and found that one only had to place the udfreadr.vxd file in the iosubsys folder and reboot in order to effect the ability to read a udf CD in the computer with no other CD writer software packages installed.

Of course with my Adaptec software installed here, I don't need the UDF Reader installed - maybe you don't either. But what I did find out was that autorun would only work when I used an early version (1.01) of the UDF Reader file, the latest and last version (5, at that time) DID NOT WORK RIGHT. It gave a silly error stating that it could not find the executable named in the autorun.inf file but stripped of it's extension. Double clicking it worked, so just no autoplay.

It would real hard to know what they got right or wrong when adding DVD support to the game plan. I won't be of any real help beyond this post as I can't do DVD and certainly don't have your software installed either, this was just a note to let you know that they got it all fouled up pretty early on in the game.

I don't have the udf.vxd file as this is the first I've heard of it. Good luck figuring it all out.

• 9 months later...
Does anyone else have a problem with UDF cd/dvd built on another computer, being able to read them in 98 windows. Have tried CDroller and Isobuster, but even thou the stand alone readers show the files are there, you can't open or copy them. Saids windows can see file. And in "My Computer" if you open the drive it show empty disc. Go to Walmart and read them fine?

Charlie

If you trying to read DVD recorded in UDF 2.x format then it impossible, because maximal version of UDF what Windows 98 support is 1.01. I haved this problem too earlier, but after long searches i found working driver for 9x named ReadDVD! from Software Architects. Look for that in Google. Good luck. :)

Direct link to the home page of the app:

http://www.softarch.com/EN/Product/ReadDVDWin.html

There are currently various versions of UDF used in the market:

v1.02 - Basic file system as used by DVD video players (i.e. rental movies)

v1.50 - Support for CD-R and CD-RW media

v2.00 - Support for NT streaming.

v2.01 - Support for RealTime Video Recording Files (ability to copy, read and delete VRO files).

v2.50 - Support for the Metadata Partition facilitating metadata clustering and optional duplication of file system information.

v2.60 - Support for Pseudo OverWrite capability on sequentially recordable BD-R media for consumer recorders.

The problem is that not all Windows and Mac operating systems can always read UDF formatted volumes. For example, Windows NT does not provide support for reading UDF disks at all. Win 98SE, 2000 and ME provide support for v1.02 and limited support for v1.5 (it doesn't handle CD-RW), and doesn't support UDF v2.00, 2.0.1, 2.50 or 2.60 at all. Also, the native Windows UDF reader frequently has difficulty with discs formatted with Roxio's proprietary version of UDF.

Interesting info! :)

jaclaz

Charlie

If you trying to read DVD recorded in UDF 2.x format then it impossible, because maximal version of UDF what Windows 98 support is 1.01. I haved this problem too earlier, but after long searches i found working driver for 9x named ReadDVD! from Software Architects. Look for that in Google. Good luck. :)

Thanks, Charlie

I've found some more info over in the videohelp forum (link), the last post of it, by spectroelectro is quite worth reading. I've sure learnt a lot about this matter today. Advanced User and jaclaz, you both rock! :thumbup