Integrating IE5.5 and Desktop Update

win95guy

Hi,

I'm new here but i am a long time user of Windows 95. I plan on contributing as much as i can about Windows 95 here. Can anybody show me how to integrate IE5.5 and the Shell update from IE4 into the Windows 95 installation so both of these things are automatically applied? i think this would make a great addition to Windows 95 by default.

Thank you

Win95guy :)

Strange, but the most of Windows 98 users would give much to get rid of the shell integrated with IE. Some are deliberately removing the Windows 98 shell replacing it with the Windows 95 one.

The IE and shell integration was one of the most buggiest Microsoft creations, I believe.

...was one of the most buggiest Microsoft creations, I believe...

A bit offtopic: I am truly impressed with the word, although, it's the least you can say for a P.... O. S... like that Desktop Update...

:thumbup

Edited by marxo

Oh ok... so no body wants to help me with this?

EDIT: Could you at least tell me what is changed in 98 to add the 95 shell? are there new files added or old ones modified? what about the registry? Knowing this will probably give me some insight on how to do this with 95.

Thanks

Win95Guy

Edited by win95guy

I believe that you will need to install IE 4 first, and then IE 5.5. However, I agree with the other comments that doing so is a bad idea. I recall reading that you could end with a memory leak. Be sure to make backups so you can restore your computer after the Win98 shell messes it up.

Phil

Can anybody tell me what files i need to replace in Windows 95 with files from Windows 98 to swap out the 95 interface with the 98 one?

Yeah i know u need to install IE4 and the desktop update before IE5 if you want to do it that way, but i'd like to try this instead now :)

Win95Guy