Server 2003 R2 Big Problem - Please Help!

I used to have Windows Server 2003 R2 o my computer, but i got a virus on it which erased everything :(:angry: so i had to re-install it. I install Windows Server R2 first, and then the second cd (R2 stuff) but I cant put in the product key. Why? I used the same key for the first part, and both CDs came in a package. What should I do? This is a Volume Licsense. Should I contact Microsoft?

Any help would be appreciated

If the setup process accepted your key and then did not automatically prompt for the R2 disk on first logon, I would guess you used non-R2 install media and VLK.

R2 media requires an R2 key, it's not a free addon for the original W2K3 product.

If you are certain the media and VLK are R2, then yes you need to contact MS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi iheartsims, you have probably solved your issue by now.

Server 2003 R2 comes with two cd set,

CD1 is just Server 2003 with no R2 and you can install it with Server 2003 Serial key or with the Server 2003 R2 serial Key, if you install it with the R2 Key you get promped to put in the CD2 - R2 components.

CD2 just the R2 components and you cant installit with the Server 2003 serial key, you have to have the R2 key..

/SaiTech

The normal install method is:

- insert cd1, start install. it prompts for CD Key.

- after GUI Mode is complete it prompts for CD2. it does not prompt for a CD Key.

Did it prompt for CD2 or did you just try to install it after the fact? I am pretty sure that if you cancel the prompt after GUI Mode that it hoses up the install, which happened once for me. I have never tried to manually install the contents of CD2.

EDIT: sorry, I have also used CD2 when Add/Remove Windows Components prompts for it.

Edited by Tripredacus