Whats the longest uptime you had for a windows 9x box?

togermano

You'd probably love that Atom-based ASUS computer. With an explicitly low-power CPU I expected it to have no fans, but that's not the case. So, my quest for a noiseless computer is still not over, but it'd be perfect for you noise lovers (and save power while at it). :)

My 98FE box usually runs for several days between restarts. Most of the time, a reboot is to switch operating systems. I'm very short on usable hardware, one functional PC at the moment. It serves as both default PC and testbox, depending on which OS I load.

Regarding uptime, I have an old Gateway P5-133 with 32MB RAM running Smoothwall. It's been running flawlessly for 96 straight days. The last time it was rebooted was for a power outage.

Rick

Regarding uptime, I have an old Gateway P5-133 with 32MB RAM running Smoothwall. It's been running flawlessly for 96 straight days. The last time it was rebooted was for a power outage.

Rick

wow i could have never pulled that off with my luck :P

Rick

wow i could have never pulled that off with my luck :P

Smoothwall uses a Linux kernel. Long uptimes are very normal. Some Smoothwall units run for well over a year between restarts. I'm running Smoothwall 2.0, which works very well on old PCs that can't even run 98 well. It's an excellent way to make good use of old hardware. The total cost was for 2 network cards and one crossover cable. It's plenty fast enough for 864/160 DSL even with a 133MHZ processor.

My 98 box has several user profiles. Logoff is disabled for security reasons. If I can get everyone else to leave it on the default profile, maybe I can see just how long it will run without rebooting. At the moment, it's at 21 hours uptime, 66% free resources with 18 processes running, running fine.

Rick

My primary desktop which runs double-time as a web/file server had about 4.5 months of uptime till power had gone out due to an accident down the road knocking out the power for our road (someone ran into the telephone pole hard enough to knock it over) :angry: .

Another time was around 7 weeks but the PSU fan had failed and needed replacement.

.. I really need to get a ups. -.-'

I'm looking at eMule's Statistics page and right now it says it's been up and running for 4 days 7 hours and 5 minutes. People around have been saying eMule wouldn't last more than 2-2.5 days without crashing the system - oh well, maybe I'm the lucky one? ;)

Haven't been doing much else besides that though, mostly browsing (SlimBrowser takes up quite some resources), chatting/testing with Miranda IM (also had a few crashes in user.exe during testing), copying/moving files around, editing some office files...

Anyway, resources are quite scarse right now, with the browser open: 12% System and GDI, 38% User. Processes running: 18, including Codestuff Starter, DSClock, DU Meter, FreeRAM XP Pro, eMule. All these on a 400MHz Pentium II, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128M running in 1024x768 dual-view with Win98SE.

Also wanted to mention that lately this is a record, since the new ISP that took over our old neighborhood network is so lame that it usually drops connection every other day. Power failures during thunderstorms are also regular here and I can't afford a UPS. And heck, when there's such power failure while I'm sleeping, I wake up right away when the fan hum stops. :D

Well, I got this little 98SE laptop (p166MMX, 48megs ram, 3gig hd, 800x600x16bit lcd) that I've been 'burning in' for the last 2 weeks... no hiccups, no shutdowns, no lockups.

I've been playing Age of Empires, SimTower, SimCity 2000, and browsing the web on it wirelessly (using seamonkey). The only hiccups are on flash pages (cpu too slow for it properly- NO YOUTUBE!!!!)

I must admit, I am **very** suprised it is still running...

Back in the day, my first 98se machine (p150, 476megs ram) once ran continuously for a month... and that machine was a firewall/Tribes game server. I could 'serve' a game and also take part at the same time on the same machine.... at the time, it was revolutionary.

Longest I've ever seen a 98SE box run? over a year. PTEC St. Petersburg. Where I got my first bit of training... Computers for the Community rebuilt machines for needy homes... and their server was a 98se box.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking at eMule's Statistics page and right now it says it's been up and running for 4 days 7 hours and 5 minutes. People around have been saying eMule wouldn't last more than 2-2.5 days without crashing the system - oh well, maybe I'm the lucky one? ;)
My experience has been an average uptime of eMule under Win98 of 2-3 days, with a wide range from an hour to about 7-8 days. It seems to depend on what you are downloading: If you are downloading for example M$-stuff, the system may crash/hang every hour, I guess their IP-etc-software is not Win98 compatible :whistle: Also, frequent attempts by unruly hackers and by maliciously modded eMule-versions seem to cause quite a few eMule hangs.

So a frequently crashing Win98 may actually be something positive: Win98 may just keep unwanted guests out and give them the boot.

Edited by Multibooter

• 1 month later...

I used to run a Quake 3 dedicated and Shoutcast dedicated server on a Windows 98 computer. I remember the longest time it was on before rebooting, because I remember there was a power outage and I was so angry that I had to turn it on again. It was something like 68 days or 78 days or something like that. And after it came back up it was up for another 2+ months. Ah those were the days. I still have that computer but it now has a problem with either the motherboard or power supply. I bought a replacement parts machine to cannibalize for it, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I have my 98SE PC on 24x7 (just turn the screen and other devices off).
I think its a stupid waste of energy and resources leaving it on......

When your done with something TURN IT OFF!!

Lets it rest and be ready for the next time you wanna use it :)

I think its a stupid waste of energy and resources leaving it on......

Lets it rest and be ready for the next time you wanna use it :)

Actually, the worst wear and stress on a PC is the first few minutes when it turns on from cold...

Anytime someone has problems with old hardware starting up, they can leave the PC running rather than powering off and generally it will work fine for sometime before finally packing up...

Besides, my P3 idles at about 50W...

And... I don't have to wait for it to boot up everytime I need to use it!