Invalid Product ID with slipstreamed XP SP3

lplates_abz

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble with a slipstreamed installation of Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and I'm hoping someone can help. Basically, I'm attempting to create a (fairly) up-to-date OEM installation CD that includes SP3. Here's what I've done (I'm using nLite 1.4.7 on a Windows Vista Business x86 host):

- Copy Windows XP Home Edition SP2 OEM CD to desktop

- Start nLite and use copied files as base

- Add SP3 to nLite build

- Add IE7 to nLite build

- Add Intel SATA drivers to nLite build

- Create ISO from nLite build

- Burn ISO

All of the above goes successfully. However, when I try an installation using the newly created CD I get "The Product Id you entered is not valid" when entering the product key (I've tried a few). I can see on the nLite site that this was a known problem when using a Vista host to integrate SP3 but I thought it was fixed for v1.4.7.

Any ideas on what I can do to get round this (other than using an XP host ;)?

Thanks in advance.

L-Plates

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem, except my OEM copy was really old. These are my steps

- Copy Windows XP Home Edition (pre-SP1) OEM CD to desktop

- Start nLite and use copied files as base

- Add SP2 to nLite build

- Restart nLite

- Add SP3 to nLite build

- Add RyanVM hotfixes to build

- Create ISO from nLite build

- Boot ISO into VirtualBox in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

The installation goes fine until it gets to asking for a key. It already had the key entered, but it says "The product ID you have entered is invalid"

It sounds like both of you may have used a Vista machine to make you nLite XP with. Vista has a known compatability issue with the SP3 product key. Those are the kinds of errors that you'll receive if you try to make an nLited version on a Vista machine. You need to use an XP machine to create an nLited version of XP.

Next, don't integrate SP1 then SP2 and then SP3. If you are using a plain XP disc, integrate SP1 and then go to SP3. You can ignore SP2 altogether because SP3 includes everything that's also included in SP2 so there's no need to integrate it also.

lplates_abz and idyllhands,

It has been reported in this forum that you can build XP ISOs on Vista if you set SP2 XP Compatibility mode for nLite.exe. Both of you should be using the latest version of nLite (1.4.9.1, last time I looked). You should also be using the same bit OS - build 32 bit ISO on 32 bit OS and build 64 bit ISO on 64 bit OS. You should always start with a fresh copy of the CD files/folders - never nLite a source that has been nLited before (including SPs). You should always tell us what OS you are using to build the ISOs and attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini. You should also look through these forums for ideas such as using a virtual system to test under so you don't have to keep burning CDs/DVDs (making coasters).

Enjoy, John.

I built the ISO in XP 32 bit with a new version of nlite, and the key is def. valid. But I was not aware that I could go directly from SP0 (or whatever you call pre-SP1) to SP3, maybe that is the issue? One thing maybe I should mention is that I have an OEM version of XP Home. I will try to delete my XP folder and start from scratch and go straight to SP3.

Lastly, I am using Virtual Box, but my laptop only has 512MB of RAM and XP takes too much memory to run itself within itself, so I have to boot to my Ubuntu partition (thankfully Ubuntu uses less RAM) to try it out. So I am actually copying the ISO from a NTFS to an ext3 Filesystem and then running it in VB. But you say that it's only the OS that it's actually created in? Or could you run VB in say Vista or Ubuntu and install XP?

Thanks for the quick responses, will report back once I get home and grab my XP CD

Edited by idyllhands

Kelsenellenelvian,

You are welcome, but the information came from MrZoSo ,here.

idyllhands,

I may not understand your question about VB and Linux. I would assume you can run the ISO in any virtual environment that supports your guest and your host.

For both,

I am running an OEM CD with no problems. Mine was purchased (from NewEgg) at the time I got my hardware. idyllhands, if you really mean a Recovery disk, then you may really have a problem.

I have looked at the Compatibility tab on my system (XP x64) and it has a Windows XP Compatibility Mode. I have not tried it, but perhaps it means you could create a 32 bit XP ISO on a 64 bit XP if you set this mode. Please let us all know if you try it.

Thanks, John.

I tried to use nLite to slipstream Sp3, IE 7, and WMP 11 into Windows XP Home Edition Sp1 upgrade. The host is Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1 x64. Even after running nLite as administrator and in Windows XP Sp2 compatibility mode, the product key isn't accepted during setup.

Is this because of the host being Vista, the fact that I'm using a x64 operating system, or a problem with the Windows XP Sp1 upgrade disk that I'm starting with?

Is there a workaround besides using a Windows XP host?

Thanks in advance.

TedJBrown,

You need to start a new topic with your specific situation as a title.

Did you nLite your source more than once? You must always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders.

You know you are on the bleeding edge here. You are the first one I have known of that tried to create a 32 bit XP on a 64 bit Vista.

Please open a new thread and attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini and tell us what kind of source CD you have. Is it retail, OEM, recovery or...? What is an SP1 upgrade CD?

Enjoy, John

Let me fully explain my situation here. I bought a "new" (to me) Toshiba laptop and deleted the restore partition before I knew that you can get the key off of it. I then got a hold of an old Dell OEM CD and managed to install it on the laptop using the key on a sticker on my laptop (I'm assuming it's OEM and not a Restore since it installed fully?) It activated just fine.

Now I want to slim down my XP install to work better with the laptop and include all the SPs and hotfixes (since the Dell CD was ooooold: pre SP1). I started from scratch on my nLite and am no longer getting an invalid key error during install. I then added driver packs and got rid of IE and it activated just fine. My question for anyone who knows more than I do is this: will I have any trouble updating this install of Windows in the future?

idyllhands,

Yes you will.

First, I agree with Kelsenellenelvian that not having IE will present problems but I think I have seen some claim that they can run Windows update without IE.

Second, it appears to me you have violated the EULA (End Users License Agreement) by using an OEM key on hardware that it was not intended for. I would expect you to have trouble with one of the machines in getting MS to provide you with updates and I am surprised you were able to activate the second one.

BTW, since this is really a different subject, it would have been best to open a new topic.

Enjoy, John.