Change original XP colours

steev

Hi Everyone,

I remember reading a few years ago about a tweak (maybe a registry tweak?) where it was possible to keep the original XP visual style but change the colours using the RGB.

Can anyone help me to do this? I'd like to keep the XP style - but be able to change the 3 colours of blue green and silver.

Regards,

Steve

Not sure about that one. Any reason why you don't just patch Uxtheme? Then you can hack the files and make it any colour you like, or download something that someone else made. There are literally thousands of trick looking themes available for free. Even if you don't want to patch any files the 2 extra official themes are worth a look (Royale and Zune).

Sorry not really what you asked for.

Hi Jedmeister,

Thanks for that - I didn't know there were 2 extra official themes - where could I download them?

Perhaps what I read included having to patch Uxtheme and I don't remember.

Regards,

Steve

@ DJPro, thanks for providing the links.

@ Steev you don't need to patch Uxtheme to get any of these 3 to work (they are digitally signed my MS)

If you count Royale-Noir then there's actually 3 official (well officially supported) themes (I'd forgotten about that one!)

Royale is the standard theme used in XP Media Centre Edition. It is similar to the standard XP blue (Luna) theme, but looks much nicer and more polished. It includes a more 3D look to the taskbar and many other improvements over the standard. If you plan to try both Royale and Royale-Noir please see my note below - Don't install both at the same time! Here's the link for the 'standard' Royal: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...for-WinXP.shtml

Royale-Noir is the same as Royale but is black rather than blue - Be aware that you can't have both installed as they are both called Royale - It will create conflicts! If you try one, remove it prior to testing the other! It was never officially released by MS and as such is a little unfinished (in my opinion).

Zune is the finished version of Royale Noir and is a Black/Orange theme (obviously named after the Zune player). It is quite trick (if you like orange and black).

Edited by JedMeister

the program you are looking for is/was called 'xp visual styler 1.1' which should let you adjust the rbg of a theme. ive used it before on my xp box but now its not running for some reason and i cant find a working d/l of it