Stripping down drivers

whistler114

Does anyone know of a quicker way of stripping the junk out of drivers? Take a Realtek sound driver. It has the sys and inf files but also a bunch of exe's and dll's which install some stupid application automatically that sits in the system tray and serves no function other that eating up system resources. I'm a "less is more" type of person, I hate bloat. At the moment I am manually going through every driver by deleting exe and unnecessary dll files and removing references to them in the inf. This is the same for Intel gfx drivers - why do I want hot key commands to change my graphics settings?! Do people really want to change their screen resolution that often?!

I don't want to have to go through this process each time a new driver is released.. and I have quite a few drivers to look after! I doubt there is a less tedious way to do this but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Edited by whistler114

whistler114, which files did you remove from the realtek package? i installed the drivers from the inf file, but it still installs a whole bunch of junk. what are the essential files? did you ever package your stripped down drivers as a 'lite' version?

edit: well, i went through the installation a number of times and got the drivers down to just the sys file and the inf down to only a few sections.

Edited by dreamz

• 6 months later...
whistler114, which files did you remove from the realtek package? i installed the drivers from the inf file, but it still installs a whole bunch of junk. what are the essential files? did you ever package your stripped down drivers as a 'lite' version?

edit: well, i went through the installation a number of times and got the drivers down to just the sys file and the inf down to only a few sections.

are u saying you got rid off all the bloat.

im sorry but i just F***ING HATE realtek.

i tried so much to get rid of the "HD Sound Manager" but it just always finds it way around.

Can you tell me how u stripped it down?

I would really appreciate it.

P.S. First post. :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=90020

This will read the inf and strip out all of those junk files. It then keeps and compresses the remaining files.

Warning! DO NOT use this to integrate drivers it has a bug in that function.

Other than that it is perfect for what you want.

I have saved 40% and more on nVidia drivers using it.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian