[SOLVED] Can't replace files in i386 directory with makecab in xp

ceztko

Hi! I'm trying to replace sfc-os.dll on a windows xp sp3 media build with a patched one that permit switching of the windows file protection (so is not exactly the wfp disable patch that is already on nlite). I tryed 2 methods:

- I tryed to put the file on the $OEM$/$$/system32 and $OEM$/$$/system32/dllcache dirs. If this method has ever worked, well... now it stopped. The wfp is active when copying $OEM$ dirs, so the file is getting replaced by the orginal compressed sfc-os.dl_ version;

- I tyred to compress my edited sfc-os.dll with makecab and putting it in the i386 dir. This is described as a working method in many sites. Well, for me it hasn't worked: while trying to copy the files from cd to hd (the first phase after partitioning; sorry don't know the correct phase name), it stopped exactly at that file. Can't say if the installer wasn't able to expand it or it detected it was edited so refused it.

Can you tell me a working method to replace WFP protected files on i386 dir in recent windows versions? Could putting the un-compressed file on the i386 dir (even after nlite processing) works?

Sorry, but I don't want to waste other dvds (I'm not using a vm...), and can't find up-to date infos googling around.

Thanks,

Francesco

Edited by ceztko

Just a tip, if your computer has a DVD+RW burner, buy a RW disc instead. I bought one and I am glad I bought it, it has saved me the cost of many dvds I only bought one and then I rewrite it.

Just a tip, if your computer has a DVD+RW burner, buy a RW disc instead. I bought one and I am glad I bought it, it has saved me the cost of many dvds I only bought one and then I rewrite it.

I used to use RW discs, but it was tedious to clean them before burning them :D

Edited by ceztko