SATA IDE status in XP Pro

plainolguy

I have a couple of IDE drives I would like to use on my ASUS A8NE board.

I installed XP on a SATA drive originally. Now when I try to connect an IDE drive it shows up as drive zero in the Disk Management snap-in. I have searched on the web for an answer and the closest thing I`ve found is install SCSI drivers on installation of XP but that didn`t help. Plus I read I won`t be able to image the drives if I do this.

I have selected in the BIOS which drive to boot from and that stays the same every time. However when I get into the Disk Management page it still shows the IDE as being drive zero. I`ve tried slave, cable select, master etc. Is there a way to do this so I can use these IDE drives and moving them down the pecking order so that my SATA is always drive zero? My manual doesn`t talk about using both IDE and SATA, just IDE OR SATA.

Thanks All

Plain

I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that - the BIOS presents the devices to the OS and they are enumerated in the order they appear.

Is this causing a problem, though? The order/number of the drives in XP should not matter...

If the system is trying to boot off the wrong disk, that should be configured in the BIOS too.