!SOLVED! Problems trying to change ''My Documents'

Win XP SP3 Home

I must be missing some thing really simple here but it is now becoming compulsive to change this icon !

The one I'm talking about is at :~ C:\Documents and Settings\My User Account\My Documents.

The only options I have in properties of this folder are General and Sharing. It doesn't show me an icon allocation path so I cannot change the Icon there. It's driving me bloody potty !!

I've changed all the other ''My documents'' and "My Account'' folders OK by editing Shell32.dll ~ mydocs.dll and looking in the register and checking all entries (!) for the CLSID {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103} for My Docs.

It seems to me that in the registry shell folders this one starts life being known as ''Personal'' but cannot find any other references let alone a default icon for this one.

I beseech thee ! Please HELP !! I don't want this as a bog standard fawn colour!

I Shall end up being driven to drink at this rate (HMmmm, not a bad idea!)

Elmer

Edited by elmer fudd

I'm confused. There are two icons I know of and you're referencing both of them. Which one did you need?

Icon A.

You looked here, right?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon

The non-techie method is

Right Click Desktop ->Properties ->Desktop ->Customize Desktop -> (Select My Documents), Change Icon

Icon B.

If you're meaning the icon when browsing through the C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\ folder, then your best bet is to create a temp folder, customize that one to the right icon then edit the desktop.ini file (You can't see me! I'm invisible!) and migrate over the lines

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile="YourIconFileOrLibrary"
IconIndex=YourIconIndex (Usually 0 if a single Icon file)

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Edited by Altruist

• 1 month later...
I must be missing some thing really simple here but it is now becoming compulsive to change this icon !
I'm confused. There are two icons I know of and you're referencing both of them. Which one did you need?

Icon A.

You looked here, right?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon

The non-techie method is

Right Click Desktop ->Properties ->Desktop ->Customize Desktop -> (Select My Documents), Change Icon

Icon B.

If you're meaning the icon when browsing through the C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\ folder, then your best bet is to create a temp folder, customize that one to the right icon then edit the desktop.ini file (You can't see me! I'm invisible!) and migrate over the lines(My Bold).

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile="YourIconFileOrLibrary"
IconIndex=YourIconIndex (Usually 0 if a single Icon file)

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Ho Hum !! Quite right Altruist,, CHECK THE BLOODY INI FILE !!! Err, what .ini file (it was there, but only said [.ShellClassInfo] :blushing::blushing::blushing: !!).

I must have, at some stage hit the 'no' instead of 'yes' when asked do I want to save the changes.

I now have another issue regarding the My Docs folder but I'll start a new thread for that.

Thanx for the help anyway matey. :thumbup

Edited by elmer fudd