Existing OEM folder

Hi,

I am trying to integrate WPI with a copy of Windows XP. But the Windows XP already has a folder OEM not $OEM$. How do I go about integrating WPI with this? Do I just copy the files inside $OEM$ to the OEM folder?

I'm not sure if I understood the answer. The cmdlines file already contains the command RunWPI.exe. I tried out by copying both the files cmdlines.txt and RunWPI.exe to the already existing OEM folder. But when I installed the OS, WPI didn't run. The already existing OEM folder contains some files compressed files, an xml file and a bin folder. I had to run WPI manually.

It does look like that. But I've not yet copied over the $OEM$ folder, because there is already a folder there by name of OEM. I think the OEM folder is required because it is an unattended copy and deleting it might corrupt the installation.

Yes, The folder is without the $$ signs, but I'm not sure if it is trash, It contains 35.3 MB of data, some driver archives and 7zip compressor etc. So if I add the $OEM$ folder to the root directory, it won't overwrite the OEM folder or conflict with it?

Hell I dunno. I have never seen a disk like that. Must be because it is a warez disk and they musta used some odd style of formatting. It shouldn't cause any conflicts but seeing as how you didn't even build the disk in question I don't see how I can help you much further as MSFN has very strict policies about the use of and assisting with warez... I can't even "politely" ignore the fact it is warez.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

GamingX,

Perhaps this is a computer manufacturer's CD - right? The OEM and $OEM$ should coexist OK. Perhaps the manufacturer (if so) is using the folder in some sort of post install process of its own. I think you can place almost any folder (with no conflict with Windows) on the CD you want. It will just sit on the disk unless copied onto a hard drive. I have never looked at the content of a manufacturer CD, so am only guessing here.

Enjoy, John.

No, no. It is not a warez disc. I was having problems with WPI and my friend tried out a combination of nLite and RyanVM integrator to modify the themes etc so that he could give the Windows XP installation a Vista like look and remove IE6, Windows Media Player and upgrade them. I just don't know why he used the OEM folder for. I got back the modified copy and resumed integrating WPI with it. I liked the look of it and went ahead trying to integrate WPI with it. I still do have the original disc though.

Edited by GamingX

Yes, The folder is without the $$ signs, but I'm not sure if it is trash, It contains 35.3 MB of data, some driver archives and 7zip compressor etc. So if I add the $OEM$ folder to the root directory, it won't overwrite the OEM folder or conflict with it?

Seems to me like you integrated driverpacks.

This will create a 'OEM' directory in the root of your disk.

And NO, it won't overwrite or conflict with the $OEM$ folder.

DJPro

Edited by DJPro

As long as he didn't add any preregged apps or any cracks to it then it isn't warez.

I did try driverpacks again and it DOES not use a OEM folder it uses the standard $oem$ folder style. I have no clue what or how he did it but would like to find out...

There are no apps in there apart from the upgraded IE 7 and Windows Media Player, plus a Firefox, CCleaner, Java Runtime and a Vista look to it. I'll ask him more about the OEM folder and let you know. The way you are telling me, it seems that he messed up with the drivers. I'll get back later

I talked to him again, and he gave me the links to the driverpacks and the method he used to slipstream them. I tested it out myself, and it does create the OEM folder and not the $OEM$ folder. Here are the links http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/ and the tutorial to it is http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1449.

Apparently the method 1 of slipstreaming creates the $OEM$ folder while the method 2 just creates the OEM folder. Can you confirm on this?