USB Booting issues

toja92

You can use testdisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

to recover your partition table.

SP3 is YET ANOTHER variable that you added. WHY?

...and possibly slipstreamed with nlite under Vista, which adds YET ANOTHER variable. :w00t:

Try with XP SP1 or SP2, NOT SP3.

To make the stick bootable, since for unknown reasons the programs that work for everyone do not work on your hardware/software, you can as you already did, re-use the MBR manually made, then re-format the stick and apply bootsect /nt52, make sure it boots with NTLDR+NTDETECT.COM+BOOT.INI before copying the files to stick.

REMOVE ANY OTHER USB DEVICE (excluded Mouse and Keyboard if USB) when working with bootable USB sticks.

As expected, the error is IRQ/Driver related.

Search for "0x000000c2" with google.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

"REMOVE ANY OTHER USB DEVICE (excluded Mouse and Keyboard if USB) when working with bootable USB sticks." Actually the only other usb device connected to my computer while trying, is my usb adapter (usb -> PS/2). I will try without SP3 now, and see how it goes. If it works, I'll try installing SP3 in portable XP instead.

Just for the record, and should anyone have the same type of problems, the "magic numbers" in partition table I gave before can be easily calculated with the spreadsheet you can find here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2959

Actually the only other usb device connected to my computer while trying, is my usb adapter (usb -> PS/2).

Yep, but besides testing booting from the stick, it is a good idea to have anything removed also when "fiddling" with it, as you appear to have learned the "hard" way ;):

EDIT3: Oh noes, I managed to write the MBR of the stick to my external drive, ....

jaclaz

Total success! Using USBoot with SP2 worked perfect, now its working exactly as it should :D :D Big thanks for your help, jaclaz :thumbup Now I need to find alot of drivers, but that is not a problem. Thanks!

Edited by toja92

Hmm is it possible you can help one more time? I bought a new 8gb usb stick, and it won't boot, and I have no idea why. I did a bootsect /nt52 but it didn't work, so I think the problem is within the MBR. Thanks in advance :thumbup

HDHacker.rar

Hmm is it possible you can help one more time? I bought a new 8gb usb stick, and it won't boot, and I have no idea why. I did a bootsect /nt52 but it didn't work, so I think the problem is within the MBR. Thanks in advance :thumbup

I will :), if you tell me what the heck did you use to fdisk/format the stick this time. ;)

The MBR code is NOT a standard NT/2K/XP/2003 nor Vista one. :w00t:

Open the stick in beeblebrox, and try setting the "Boot" to 80 (currently it is 00, i.e. you have currently NO partition active).

Then, your geometry is once again "gone beserk"!

You have:

0B-00-0-1-1-243-32-63-32-15974368

Should be one of the following:

0B-80-0-1-1-243-254-63-63-3919797

0B-80-0-1-1-243-254-63-63-3919797

0C-80-0-1-1-242-254-63-63-3903732

0C-80-0-1-1-242-254-63-63-3903732

SO:

1) Use beeblebrox to write one of the given set of values

2) Eject and reinsert stick

3) Format the stick

4) Run bootsect.exe /nt52 against the stick

5) Copy to the stick NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM/BOOT.INI

6) Try booting from the stick

7) if it does not boot, loop to 2) and try another set of values

If it still does not boot,

Use MBRFIX:

http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

http://www.sysint.no/Download/tabid/162/la...NO/Default.aspx

MbrFix /drive <num> fixmbr

to fix the MBR code

and loop back to 1)

Report.

jaclaz

Acutally, it was preformatted from factory (brand new). If possible, is it necessary to format the stick? Oh well...

EDIT: If you want to know, it took a half hour to move 606 MB via virtualbox. My other usb memory, older, took maybe 3-4 minutes...

Edited by toja92

Hmm... writing either of those MBR's makes Vista lag incredibly. If I remove the drive vista becomes normal but as soon as I insert it it becomes slow. I managed to make it "half-working", it doesent display "System error, press ctrl+alt+delete to reboot", but instead a "_".

Hmm... writing either of those MBR's makes Vista lag incredibly. If I remove the drive vista becomes normal but as soon as I insert it it becomes slow. I managed to make it "half-working", it doesent display "System error, press ctrl+alt+delete to reboot", but instead a "_".

WHICH MBR's? :unsure:

Did you run MBRFIX?

Start again, run the HP formatting utility and post the MBR and bootsector, extracted with hdhacker, after running it.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

The MBR appears to be OK, it is a 16 Gb stick formatted as FAT32 0B, i.e. CHS mapped.

The bootsector appears to have both invalid data and to be non-standard.

WHAT did you use to try and format it? :w00t:

It appears like you used an Acronis product on the stick. :whistle:

I would zero out the first, say, 100 sectors (just to make sure) then try running fuwi's newish batch/app:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21702

Please report.

jaclaz

The stick is 8 gB, not 16 :P But maybe the MBR was weird, I dont know. I tried fuwi's batch, and it didn't work.. Before nothing happened, now i see this non-system disk error. I tried bootsect /nt52 but nothing happened after that. I also get NTLDR is missing, but it isn't. Any idea?

I will repeat myself, do zero out first 100 sectors of the device

Try running fuwi's batch. (running it WITHOUT zeroing out the first sectors is NOT what I want, I need it run on a zeroed out stick)

DO NOT RUN ANYTHING ELSE.

Post the MBR and bootsector resulting from the above procedure, NOT those coming from ANY OTHER procedure.

This is the ONLY way I can:

1) make sure that no leftovers cause problems

2) that the batch did it's work properly

jaclaz