hotfixes

Lrchr

It looks like I downloaded and installed hundreds of hotfixes and updates. I installed them without saving first. So how would I find them to slipstream them now. Surely I dont have to scour MS.

u can search for update packs

here

Hi Boooggy,

Thanks for your help.

However, when I try to download the fixes from the site via Post-SP2 Update Pack 2.2.2 April 27, 2008 53.5MB CF090ABA2F8CD73BAFFD56B1E277C56B

Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3

I get the attached error.

What now???

Lrchr

boooggy.doc

Edited by Lrchr

:blushing: Hi All,

Thanks for your help,Ive now got an XP Pro with SP3 and hotfixes disk.

Im not sure how to test to see that this disk works properly.

Help again

Lrchr

I hope Ive told you that Im not very good with this stuff :wacko:

You have several options:

I use VMware Server because it's the only one that can emulate x64 hardware, but I've heard good things about Virtualbox. All of them are free to use.

Hi 5eraph,

Thanks for your help (although Im not sure how to use it).

In my profile Ive put XP Pro x86, but Im not sure if this true, how can I check. It may be x64.

Lrchr

Lrchr,

Right click on My Computer and then click on Properties.

Enjoy, John.

Hi John,

If youve been following my posts you will see Im very unsure what Im doing.

Ive attached my System Properties.

Lrchr

Doc1.doc

You're certainly running XP Pro x86; there is no Service Pack 3 for x64. Although with the 4 GB of physical RAM you apparently have installed you should probably be running x64 to have access to all of it. ;)

Anyway, the programs I listed allow you to test the ISOs you'll create within virtual environments. I'm no expert on any one of them in particular. I had to learn on my own, but it wasn't difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
You're certainly running XP Pro x86; there is no Service Pack 3 for x64. Although with the 4 GB of physical RAM you apparently have installed you should probably be running x64 to have access to all of it. ;)

Anyway, the programs I listed allow you to test the ISOs you'll create within virtual environments. I'm no expert on any one of them in particular. I had to learn on my own, but it wasn't difficult.

OK, so Im running x86 but what difference does x64 do for me & how do I change.

:whistle:

Did I say Im inexperienced with PCs?????

X86 = 32 Bit

X64 = 64 Bit

That's why you may see some files that say something in the title like x86_32, you know that file is for a 32 bit operating system.

The reason he brought up a 64 bit operating sytem is because I think with a 32 bit you can only access a total of... 3GB of RAM? To utilize the full four, and to better utilize multi-core processors, 64 is the way to go. However.... not all programs are written for 64 bit operating systems. It's getting better though.

As for upgrading from 32 to 64...... I always have trouble with that topic, upgrading the OS in general actually. So I'm not going to comment on that area since I know very little about it, just enough to squeeze by the certification exam =D I'd recommend checking out the Microsoft website.

X86 = 32 Bit

X64 = 64 Bit

That's why you may see some files that say something in the title like x86_32, you know that file is for a 32 bit operating system.

The reason he brought up a 64 bit operating sytem is because I think with a 32 bit you can only access a total of... 3GB of RAM? To utilize the full four, and to better utilize multi-core processors, 64 is the way to go. However.... not all programs are written for 64 bit operating systems. It's getting better though.

As for upgrading from 32 to 64...... I always have trouble with that topic, upgrading the OS in general actually. So I'm not going to comment on that area since I know very little about it, just enough to squeeze by the certification exam =D I'd recommend checking out the Microsoft website.

Hi, As Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOO inexperienced with PCs Ill leave things alone.

Thanks for your imput

Lrchr