Installing selectable XP on both harddisks?(new problem :( )

nlty2000

My desktop at the office is going to be wiped clean and re-installed, and I'm going to be a restricted user. I made a clone of today's state into an IDE HDD. Now I want to select which HDD to boot at startup(to overcome the restrictions). How can I manage this?

edit: One more problem. Read below pls.

Edited by nlty2000

Some BIOSes allow you to hit a key during POST to select which BOOT source. If yours does that it should appear on the POST screen or be documented in the manual. If you don't have that available, perhaps run AIDA32 or similar and find the motherboard model and find the manual online and read up. If thats an option it will make it easier than going into BIOS. :thumbup

I would NOT recommend anything like that seeing that you will be restricted down to simple user privileges. Better off talk to your network administrator and ask him to elevate your privileges. Just to keep your a$$ outta trouble. For example, if you worked in the company I manage the network of and caught you running other operating system than the one I installed will get you out the door in 2 minutes with no return. Simple as that.

Edited by nitroshift

I would NOT recommend anything like that seeing that you will be restricted down to simple user privileges. Better off talk to your network administrator and ask him to elevate your privileges. Just to keep your a$$ outta trouble. For example, if you worked in the company I manage the network of and caught you running other operating system than the one I installed will get you out the door in 2 minutes with no return. Simple as that.

Thats the sort of attuide form network admins i hate, personal i just lock them from the network but leave them to do what they want on the other OS, and no it doesnt make the netwokr insecure but more friendly witht eh users. The truth is no matter what os you are running if oyu know what you are doing you can take control of the domain easily.

Thats the sort of attuide form network admins i hate, personal i just lock them from the network but leave them to do what they want on the other OS, and no it doesnt make the netwokr insecure but more friendly witht eh users. The truth is no matter what os you are running if oyu know what you are doing you can take control of the domain easily.

Did you take in consideration the legal side of it too? What programs the users install on their pc's? What impact that has on the domain / LAN / traffic? And yes, leaving users with administrator privileges DOES make the set-up less secure. And I don't mean only the network...

Did you take in consideration the legal side of it too? What programs the users install on their pc's? What impact that has on the domain / LAN / traffic? And yes, leaving users with administrator privileges DOES make the set-up less secure. And I don't mean only the network...

Doesnt matter if the user isa guest they can take over teh comptuer and the domain if they know what there doing, i agree with you have to have some control but not the poitn you lock them out completely. Ye i took that into consideration but the user will fall fool of the law if they break it, but at the same time if there machine is connect you can easily watch what there doing. if you lock them out at network level (i mean osi level 2-4) it doesnt havea efffect ont eh LAN, traffic or the domain because there machien is a stand alone. havinf admin prilivages on a machie that conencted toa network domain doesnt give a average user much more .... why because unles they know what there doign they cant do anything, my policy is if the user knows what there doing if they mess with the network then i agree with you that gettign sacked is the right option. and if you are a good network admin you will have backups etc so if anything goes worng it will be back up and running within a few horus, most admins i know are to lazy and just liek sitting there watchign people or jsut doign nothing and want people locked out ocmpletely.

[...]havinf admin prilivages on a machie that conencted toa network domain doesnt give a average user much more .... why because unles they know what there doign they cant do anything[...]

What about clicking on every red flasing button on the internet that requires administrative privileges to install malware? I seriously take security and time into account, not to mention the downtime to reinstall the server back-ups that I make daily... For workstations a much more simple method is to have a Ghost or Acronis image ;) But hey, I manage a 15k computer farm spread all over the country :ph34r:

EDIT:

I really don't want to start a dispute or flaming, I'm just trying to get my point across :)

Edited by nitroshift

Thats the sort of atitude form network admins i hate

A good admin is a fat admin. If people at work really need admin privilege for work, they just have to ask for it. Then the hierarchy checks and says yes or no. It's as simple as that. Letting people think they can do what ever they want with "their" computer is simply not manageable if you have a fair amount of users. And you get reminded of this fact every day.

Thats the sort of atitude form network admins i hate

A good admin is a fat admin. If people at work really need admin privilege for work, they just have to ask for it. Then the hierarchy checks and says yes or no. It's as simple as that. Letting people think they can do what ever they want with "their" computer is simply not manageable if you have a fair amount of users. And you get reminded of this fact every day.

Yes but whena user is training to be a netwokr admin they need admin privilages and it that sort of attuide that prevent a lot of people i know being trained right. The fat admin are teh daft ones who are power hungry there has to be some come and go but most network admin attuide stink there only intrerested in one thing deny, deny deny. I know one that was so stuipd they put a deny on full control for the everyone group..... and forgot the administrator group is part of the everyone group so the entire network was gubbed and they never took proper backups soa lot of information was lost.

[...]havinf admin prilivages on a machie that conencted toa network domain doesnt give a average user much more .... why because unles they know what there doign they cant do anything[...]

What about clicking on every red flasing button on the internet that requires administrative privileges to install malware? I seriously take security and time into account, not to mention the downtime to reinstall the server back-ups that I make daily... For workstations a much more simple method is to have a Ghost or Acronis image ;) But hey, I manage a 15k computer farm spread all over the country :ph34r:

EDIT:

I really don't want to start a dispute or flaming, I'm just trying to get my point across :)

agreed only making apoint i think the attuide to ban and not give users some powers is the worng way as well. just froma personal experaince but agree that ther ehas to be some control at low level network. btw i would never give a user access ot the server not even as a user account

EDIT:

Well if microsoft get there way people will make software that doesnt need admin rights anyway so amdins will have harder job stoppign that stuff so anti malware software will become more used ;)

I've been offline for days, sorry.

Seems I made a big mistake. I cloned my SATA drive into an IDE drive. Now when I disconnect the SATA and connect the IDE one(clone) as master, Windows doesn't start up. I get a non system disk error message. Is it possible that I make a new clone of my IDE into a new SATA? If not, now that the original drive is wiped, how can I undo this mess? :)

PS: I'm planning to use my new bootable clone totally offline, so there's no need for a dispute I think.

edit: When I connect both drives, BIOS recognizes both drives, saves changes and reboots, then sees only the SATA drive and boots from it. Sometimes it recognizes the IDE driver as "0 MBs". ???

Edited by nlty2000