HFSLIP+nLite --> No good Windows 2000 CD

oao

Hi,

I have followed very carefully Fred Vorck's instructions on HFSLIP (did not use his files because I did not want to delete IE). I then used nLite on the resulting SOURCESS file to streamline Windows 2000.

I made two attempts to create a bootable CD:

1. Direct burn on a Windows 2000 system: this created a CD which booted alright but then issued the following prompt instead of continuing with the Windows installation.

Please insert the disk labeled Service Pack 4 CD into Drive A:

2. ISO burn on a Windows XP system: I reran HFSLIP, created an ISO image with nLite, but when I tried to burn it, it seemed like it was doing it, but I ended up with a CD which seems empty when I open it, but which nLite says it cannot be written on because it's NOT empty. When I nsert the CD in another computer, the system does not see it, it sees the drive empty.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

FP

Please insert the disk labeled Service Pack 4 CD into Drive A:

This is what happens when you remove the Ident files from the root of the CD...

Don't delete the files at the root of the CD. ;)

In fact, the only ident file I am aware of is CDROMSP4.TST, whose use is not clear from Vorck instructions. This file is not on the Windows CD as he says. I found it on the Net and did put it in the root and I got the problem I described.

After several attempts with HFSLIP, I went and did the whole thing with nLite and it looks like I got a good CD. The only thing is there are a bunch of fixes which HFSLIP digests but nLite rejects, so I will have to apply them manually after the OS install. A pain, but c'est la vie.

In fact, the only ident file I am aware of is CDROMSP4.TST, whose use is not clear from Vorck instructions. This file is not on the Windows CD as he says.

It's automatically created when you slipstream SP4, in fact. Maybe you didn't copy it over when you slipstreamed your i386 directory the very first time? Not sure why the file wouldn't be created automatically.

There are ways to avoid having to use any of these files in the root of the CD, but it's WAY more trouble than it's worth and involved editing scores of INF files...

There were 2 problems:

The instructions Vorck gave about it is not very clear. They create the impression that the file is on the Windows CD and you extract it from there and put it in the SOURCE directory. That is not the case.

Then, even though SP4 was in the SOURCE directory, the identification file was NOT created by HFSLIP.

This was solved when I went pure nLite. Too bad there is a bunch of fixes it does not do.

First I have to apologize to Nuhi and the other admins/ mods to give HFSLIP-support in this forum !

Since it´s related (nlite after hfslipping), I hope You don´t mind.

It´s even worse, because it´s a simple user-error !

@oao

FDV states on his site (what do you think the "V" stands for ;) ) clearly, what to do, if you integrate the SP4 manually, before using HFSLIP.

Then, even though SP4 was in the SOURCE directory...

It has to be in the HF-folder !

Just did a "quick and dirty".

Nlite after HFslip still works, if you remember to keep some files and know what you´re doing, as usual.

Agi