Generic USB HDD drivers?

North of Watford

I have just started to use one of those fancy network accessible storage things (actually Maplin A61FY aka A-Tec Subsystem Inc NS-347). It offers LAN connection, no problem with getting that working. It also has a USB connector, but offers no driver disk at all. Therefore, for Win2K and onwards (which it advertises as being supported) it must be using generic drivers already installed in those systems. When plugged in to Win98 machines, they find a USB Mass Storage Device, and try to talk to it through the USB Thumbdrive driver. Needless to say it doesn't get very far before giving a bright yellow question mark in the Device Manager panel!

Has anyone got any bright ideas about which drivers might be worth trying, in order to get it working correctly in Win98? I have access to a complete copy of Win2K.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this,

Jeff

Thanks for the information, but I am not sure how that would read across to USB Hard Disks. I have no problem with USB Pen Drives, all that I have used have been recognised by Win98.

Jeff

Heck, I am not sure either. ;)

You asked:

Has anyone got any bright ideas about which drivers might be worth trying, in order to get it working correctly in Win98?

Had you asked:

Has anyone found a Win2K driver capable of mounting USB Hard Drives in Win 98, tested and known for sure to be working?

I would have replied:

NO.

:whistle:

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Search here for NUSB

NUSB 3.3 also works fine for all USB2.0 HDDs I have.

Once NUSB being installed completely, each time Win98 asks for a driver, point to

<WINDOWS>\OPTIONS\CABS

Select usbstor.inf

Or read about maximus decim

Edited by FishBowl

The nusb3.3 patch worked for me, but I already had it installed. I cannot access the drive by double clicking on it, but if I use the explore command all the contents are visible and accessable. I can also write to the drive by just pointing to the drive letter. As usual, this drive was not meant for 98.

• 3 weeks later...