Affecting Windows PE behaviour with PXELINUX

Guest Cletus Van Damme

Guest Cletus Van Damme

Hello,

My current set up is a PXELINUX installation that has a web frontend that you can use to configure it with. I have set up multiple unattended Linux installation options for it but Windows is proving to be a bit of a problem. I know I could use Windows PE for unattended Windows XP and Vista installations but I have no idea how I could make different PXELINUX options for them.

Here's the relevant part of the pxelinux configuration:

# Windows PE
label b9
MENU LABEL Windows PE
MENU HIDE
kernel boot\pxeboot.0

It boots Windows PE fine but I really need to figure out how I could use just the PXELINUX configuration to make Windows PE load a different image, set a variable or anything at all. Having a separate menu inside Windows PE or with the Microsoft bootloader would be highly undesirable since it would require hitting a key on every workstation that needs to be installed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you figure this one out, please let us know.

Currently those of us using pxelinux to boot our winpe images, have to use a HTA or AutoIt3 GUI once it is loaded.

Would be nice to be able to use other options via pxelinux.

What I do is have a template pxelinux boot instruction file and then use a batch script to copy the template to 0%macAddress% (I have a csv file with a list of mac addresses, computernames etc)

When the PCs boot they boot into the desired OS, when they've finished their task the pxeboot file is deleted