Problem with WIM image larger than 4GB?

Ivica

Using Lastest Vlite 1.2 and lastest WAIK.

I made costomized vista (Its Croatian version with SP1) with lots of extra software and stuff on it, burned it on DL DVD (Image size is 6,6GB), and during instalation on 1% i get:

Windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070020.

I made lots of preinstalled Vista DVDs so far and they where working fine, but i now need more space than single DVD.

Also one more question about adding Nero(8.3.2.1.) to unattended instalation. I allways get some error after i start it on preinstalled PC and i cant start it.

So i wonder if the problems is in WIM size larger than 4GB, or something else.

I would apritiate any help and info on this subject

Well, i tryed again, made costomized vista,i captured image using lastest Imagex, than rebuilded iso using vLite(I didnt remove any components from vista) Finall size of image was 6.6GB, and during instalation on 2% i get error "Windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070020."

Why is vLite telling me that image is larger than 4Gb and that the iso might not work? and how can i bypass this? !!

if the files required during boot/load process stored in the iso (or DVD) beyond 4GB the system cannot access it

(dunno why )

i always ge t boot mgr erro not being able to load files beyond 4gb

(might be BIOS limitation, guess)

Dosnt that sound like a problem with 32bit? 32bit cant handle more than 4gb, where 64bit can do 128gb if I am not mistaken.

No, here you're talking about the RAM but the problem is with the size of the WIM image.

Make sure youre not building it on fat32 because fat32 has a file size limit of 2 or 4 gigs.

Second, when you build the iso make sure you are creating it as an UDF ISO. If you create an iso greater than 4 gigs without specifying UDF itll be corrupt.

-gosh

Make sure youre not building it on fat32 because fat32 has a file size limit of 2 or 4 gigs.

Second, when you build the iso make sure you are creating it as an UDF ISO. If you create an iso greater than 4 gigs without specifying UDF itll be corrupt.

-gosh

Vista cannot install ont Fat32 it's obviously NTFS

Vista cannot install ont Fat32 it's obviously NTFS

Just for the record, though I agree that the "storage" where the .iso is built is most probably NTFS, it could well be another partition formatted as FAT32, and however Vista CAN be installed on FAT32.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...181&st=1712

(of course it does not make much sense if not in very peculiar setups, but still it is possible)

Back to topic, there are "size barriers" in the actual initial stages of booting, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Weird-NTLDR-Error-t119971.html

Though the above applies to XP, same thing is most probably true for VISTA.

jaclaz

Why is vLite telling me that image is larger than 4Gb and that the iso might not work? and how can i bypass this? !!

Just like the way you can split the installer on several CDs, you can have a WIM split into 2 and make a 2-DVD installation. None of the parts is larger than 4 GB and you won't have to use a dual layer blank.

Spliting those images in 2 parts really didnt never worked for me.I was getting similar error message.And btw doesnt those splited images need to be merged again before they can be installed?How does it make it practical for me?Im installing round 10 PCs per day so that DL DVD solution would be the best..

And just notice (If it really matters..) Im using Vista Ultimate X64 and NTFS!!of course!

And im starting to see that maybe vLite has problems with x64 vista because lastest vLite 1.2 Beta is not working for me its giving me some net framework error when i select Vista instalation folder, and 1.1.6. works fine..

Edited by Ivica