Worth the Upgrade?Pentium3(600) to Pentium4(1.8g)+++

popeye

I have a Pentium 3 600,384ram,60gig hard drive,100 bus speed,Radeon 64 DDR Video card. Pretty happy with this system. Have the opportunity of getting a Pentium 4 1.8ghz,512 ram,80gig hard drive, 400mg bus speed,and 64MB NVIVIDA Geforce2 MX Video card. All the other stuff I will transfer over to the new machine. The cost will be $1200. Forgetting the cost right now, is it worth the upgrade? Will it be that much faster and will the graphics be "that" much better? Or just wait for the better technology? Help and advice appreciated. Thanks.

If the oppertunity is there and the money isent that much of an issue, i would go with the upgrade. A general rule of thum is to upgrade when you cpu speed is doubled, so your in the clear. A few things though, I wouldent buy the Geforce, the Radeon will work just as good or better, and if your low on dough you could even lax on the hard drive, but then again more space is always better especially if you are a frequent downloader of games,movies etc.

-Drew

I have a P4 1800mhz and all the similar stuff u said and i couldnt be more happy with it...

the only problem i got is that i have a crappy video card.. if i get a better one, the package will be complete.. but i can tell ya, definitely worth it :) Oh yeah and dont forget to get DDR Ram with it, it'll make hell of a difference :cool:

BLACKWAR

I would have to agree with [b:a7c165be9c]Drewdatrip[/b:a7c165be9c], stick with the Radeon card forget going to Geforce 2( If u were thinking about Geforce 3...then maybe)

as for ur cpu upgrade, not a bad move P4

I have a P4 similar setup to what [b:7148c86d2c]popeye[/b:7148c86d2c] looking at which runs a Asus Geforce 2 TI(V7700), its not a bad card but I also have a Radeon 8500 64mb which i run in an AMD 1800+ system...swapped them over a few times to compare and I just think the Radeon wins out

err.. DDR? i think theres only one mother board out there that support intel AND DDR, and intel are suing the makers. you mean RDR, yes i am a picky b***h....

go for AMD! it will out perform and is cheaper.. and for $1200 you should be able to build a decent system any how never mind "upgrade" you could have 2 pc's....

err.. DDR? i think theres only one mother board out there that support intel AND DDR, and intel are suing the makers. you mean RDR, yes i am a picky b***h....

go for AMD! it will out perform and is cheaper.. and for 00 you should be able to build a decent system any how never mind "upgrade" you could have 2 pc's.... [/quote:c1dc52798d]

i saw quite a bit actually.. more are comin out each day :)

My opinion, the price tag could be lowered, but if money is no issue then go ahead.

I upgrade my system each time I can X3 the speed I had, but now with amd's new concept forget about the mhz and stick with performance I might have to modify my theory..

In conclusion: [b:120165e3a2]YES go for it[/b:120165e3a2]

I went from a P3 800mhz to the P4 1.8gig, and I will be honest with u the speed difference is noticable u do notice running time on alot of apps as well as overall O/S speed being faster...the general things like open folder windows etc..basically u can open alot of them without maybe getting the system lockups of an older proccessor, or the long wait before the icons appear in folders that u used to get....in short u can do alot more things Simultaneously the jump in bus speed is always great

getting a good motherboard can only enhace the performance of proccessor as well, thats why ur better of building a machine yourself...so if ur got the cash look at other options and doing it yourself cause u can find dirt cheap stuff, save ur self some dollars

i.e maybe AMD 1800+/and a good mobo

I had a pII 400, and then just stripped all the good stuff it had (HD, Cd-RW, etc..) and put it in the computer I built..(amd 1.4, 512mb,etc..)

as Unimatrix-Zero mentioned you'll notice some really nice speed difference...

especially with multi-tasking

[b:8942870947]The master of upgrades is finally here.........Now listen[/b:8942870947][/size:8942870947]

Simple as this. i was taught a while ago and live by this saying.

[u:8942870947]If you can double your preformance then do the upgrade[/u:8942870947]

So regardless if you decided to go with Intel or AMD is your desison.But keep in mind the Temps and Prices on both CPU's. And the stability and cost of motherboards. I personal just got my first amd board and CPU (T-Bird 1400) and so far love it, Temps are high compared to INTEL but thats normal. Ive always been a INTEL guy and still love them but the prices are sicking. As far as DDR for INTEL, theres plenty out there and still rolling out, altho some may have over looked the boards that have RAMBUS Ram on them. Keep your eye on them.

Now VID cards is a strong subject for me. My personal option and fro alot of experiance as I build PC's all the time , stay away from [b:8942870947]Radeon[/b:8942870947] and Ill explain why. First off the driver support is awful, just plain sick. They have to learn to support the cards first before actually making a move on Nvidia. Second especially with this so called "awsome" VID card "8500" the pixel support and shading on alot of games still experiance sever promblems. Yah the benchmarks are awsome and i know 2 mods have this card on the board and thye will debate this crap with me but look at the track record. Read some reviews. Not to mention again its over priced and over rated. Now you can assume I would pick Nvidia for several reason. Drivers are great and alot of different choices out there. OS support better for Nvidia. Price is so much better. For ex. you can pick up the New [b:8942870947]Geforce 4 for $129.00[/b:8942870947] at best buy if you live in the states. If not you can find it some where else. of course Nvidia can be pricy , depending on what your looking for...ex. TV Out, S-Video.

So in conclusion the things I have done before building computers is 1. Ask for sugestions 2. Do alot of research on the products 3. Search for the best deals.

Ask anyone that knows me personaly on this board about my fun times building PC's and they tell you Im always doing s*** to my PC's. Well if you need any other info like review sites that are good or places to shop online that i can offer let me know. Good luck

-XPerties