DVD Writer not working with Laptop

Hi everyone,

I have a External ASUS DVD Writer . My Laptop is Compaq C304NR which was bought in 2005.

The problem i am having is that when i plug the DVD Writer in my Desktop PC it runs and writes DVD Perfectly. But when i plug it in my Laptop it refuses to Write and read DVD but it reads CDs. In other words the 'Burn' button disappears when i insert a Blank DVD while it is plugged into the Laptop.

Can anyone tell me where the problem is because both the USB ports of my Laptop works perfectly and still the DVD writer is not working? Can this problem be related with USB port Speed? How can i solve it?

If the laptop only has USB 1.1 ports (which seems to be the case), then you won't be able to read/burn DVDs on it since it doesn't have enough speed. USB 1.1 is barely enough for an old flash drive, it maxes out at 1.5MB/s. The minimum burning speed for DVD+R discs is 2.4x, which is 3.24MB/s, more than double what a 1.1 port can provide.

If the laptop only has USB 1.1 ports (which seems to be the case), then you won't be able to read/burn DVDs on it since it doesn't have enough speed. USB 1.1 is barely enough for an old flash drive, it maxes out at 1.5MB/s. The minimum burning speed for DVD+R discs is 2.4x, which is 3.24MB/s, more than double what a 1.1 port can provide.

Thanks a lot for the Info. But this page says that it uses '2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0'.

I am using Nero 8 Lite 8.3.2.1b. I tried Nero Express and also the Burning ROM but still the problem remains.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Edited by rubab