Pause between songs in Windows Media Player

smithxi

No need for a plugin to get gapless mp3 playback on winamp actually.

The one big option to change:

Go to options, preferences, output, directsound, configure, other, and put a checkbox in remove silence box.

Myself, I can't stand WMP for anything. There's far better audio players (winamp, foobar, etc), and LOTS of better video players as well (MPC, VLC, ZoomPlayer, etc)

when i use media player i dont get this problem, what are you playing from ? a cd or just regular mps or wma tracks on yuh pc

if its off a cd that means when they compiled the cd they didnt remove the pause between tracks so its spacing out on u ... and as everyone say, use winamp :thumbup

WMP is one of the worst players along with iTunes. I would definately pick something like Winamp and I used to have a gapless/crossfade plugin for it which you can get free.

iTunes now supports gapless and crossfade, but it seems to determine how to mix tracks all by itself.

iTunes now supports gapless and crossfade, but it seems to determine how to mix tracks all by itself.

Yeah, but iTunes is a horrible piece of software that is very restrictive and probably just as bad as WMP11! Everytime I work on a system that has iTunes, it's always a PITA!, especially because the music is encrypted or in a proprietary, worthless format. MP3 is the way to go, No If's, But's or And's about it! I let my customers know that if they install it or use it that it will void their support warranty. Winamp should be able to handle their needs for playing music and VLC player for video!

Edited by Thinkster

I keep hearing these complaints of itunes encrypting music but I have the latest version and it never did anything of the sort. I can't figure that out.

It doesn't encrypt it. The point was, all the songs from iTunes were DRM'ed (DRM which works with only players, both software and hardware, from a single vendor). And the limitations imposed for those (max amount of shared computers, max amount of times it'll let you burn them, etc), the lack of a choice for quality/format (AAC 128kbps only), etc.

But, I very much dislike that player too. The interface, how it works, the resource usage, the extra and totally pointless services it adds, the way it forces that quicktime trash on you -- and even offering Safari (Yuck! I'd sooner go back to IE) as an "update" to iTunes.

Winamp works great (plays everything, no nonsense, does everything I expect out of a player), and rockbox on my (non-Apple) mp3 player.

OK I am guessing the DRM is applied to songs bought from the iStore and MP3s that you make with iTunes then. I never used iTunes for any of those purposes, just as a method of getting playlists xferred to an iPod, that is before I downloaded the plugin for Winamp.

• 1 month later...

:blink: Typical 700M CD-R's hold about 80 minutes of burned-from-CD selections. I have a Playlist which (according to WMP11) is 73 minutes long, with 21 tracks. I rip at 50 to 95 Kbps; crossfading was 0.3 seconds; burn rate was converted to 64 Kbps* - yet when in Burn Mode, last track keeps rolling over to "second" disc. How can this be with 6.5 minutes left on disc? That formulates to 18 seconds between tracks! Seems impossible.

*Perhaps I can only go lower on Burn rate (conversion) than Rip rate? (I tried that too - no luck.)

Everybody keeps talkig up Winamp. Is this the answer to trackless or minimized gaps?

Can Winamp do this in its free download version?

:blink: Typical 700M CD-R's hold about 80 minutes of burned-from-CD selections. I have a Playlist which (according to WMP11) is 73 minutes long, with 21 tracks. I rip at 50 to 95 Kbps; crossfading was 0.3 seconds; burn rate was converted to 64 Kbps* - yet when in Burn Mode, last track keeps rolling over to "second" disc. How can this be with 6.5 minutes left on disc? That formulates to 18 seconds between tracks! Seems impossible.

*Perhaps I can only go lower on Burn rate (conversion) than Rip rate? (I tried that too - no luck.)

Everybody keeps talkig up Winamp. Is this the answer to trackless or minimized gaps?

I do not know how Winamp handles the crossfade when burning a CD. AFAIK, the m3u doesn't contain any playback or EQ settings, just what order and location of the songs (and some ID3? information). I only use Winamp because I used to use it to test crossfade timings (typical) between 5 and 20 seconds. Winamp doesn't support crossfades higher than 20 seconds, however.

Winamp can do gapless playback is what I was saying.

As for Winamp burning Audio CDs, no idea, it's been probably 6 years since I've burned one of those (don't even have a AudioCD-only reader)

Ideally, you don't want a solution that will crossfade, but rather one that will get rid of the silence at the beginning/end of tracks (foobar2000 might do it).

• 2 months later...

If you are using WMP to rip or burn your music, you are probably using one of the worst tools (if you can even call it that). Again Winamp can let you burn a compilation CD as well although it might not be as obvious to do as other programs. If your looking to have complete control over the CD layout with custom crossfades/overlaps, and be able to control the level of each song including efx or eq, then you should definately get Sony CD Architect It's definately worth it!