Child proof XP install

jowilker

We are doing computer upgrades at our home. The wife wants our daughter to get one also. Our daughter has Downs Syndrome with very low reasoning ability. She has had her own computer with 98 installed, basically for emulation, but is restricted because newer software wont run on it.

I would like advice on setting up her new hand me down computer with new XP install, that she can turn on at will, with auto logon, but with most features disabled to her, or basic setup that she can use and not effect by unknowing key strokes. I want her to either be able to play her program CDs or install the software that she uses.

I suspect I need to set up the admin account with password, to guard the os install. The computer will not be connected to the net, unless I bring it to my office area and plug in a Ethernet cable.

In other words we want her to play all she wants, but not be concerned that she might corrupt the system, to where it needs admin work.

many thanks

PS: If I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

The ONLY child proof way is to NEVER allow to be logged in as an administrator!

I am sorry that I didn't make that clear, she would only have access as a user, even though the main/only user.

thanks

For this, it might be better to use a different shell, some sort of menu with big icons perhaps. You could script isobuster to insert the CDs' ISOs in a virtual drive too when she clicks an icon before starting the app (no scratched discs this way either)

The ONLY child proof way is to NEVER allow to be logged in as an administrator!

I am sorry that I didn't make that clear, she would only have access as a user, even though the main/only user.

thanks

I agree with the above comment.

Setting her account up as user would be the best way to do it. Only problem is that alot of the software will have to be installed by an admin (yourself) as XP will not let programs install if they will install to the registry/system areas. I found this out on my sons computer (10 yr old) and he has only been given "USER" level account which is even more restricted thru the system for only certain times he can be logged on.

Good Luck

John

Hi,

If you have free time to read about:

Windows SteadyState

I don't use this add-on from Microsoft, but you can take a look at the site and read the documents about this product for Shared Computer Family.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

Sorry, I don't remember where I saw someone talking about this new version released by Microsoft for free to genuine users.

Good luck,

Anderton.

i am in the same situation what we did was run lock down utility to restrict my austic son to the desktop only we have all him programes installed on the nas severs in games share then mapped to his desktop and we run a internet filter recentlly he learned about the run command so i have to remove the run comand :)) hope this helps steve@specialchildexchange.org if you need some help

Steve, This computer will only be used by the daughter, who will have full access to it without any internet connection. I was only looking for info on making the machine bullet proof in as much as she would not corrupt the OS. Nothing more than a reboot and all is back to where it is supposed to be.

Her mom, brother and me all have our on computers and so does she. We want her to be able to operate and do what she can at will.

I just don't want to have to rebuild the hard drive like I did when her brothers were small and played around in areas that they didn't know what they were doing. "I am not interested in Daddy my computer is broken."

thanks

John

You've probably already had enough suggestions by now but what about setting it up and doing a drive image, then if (when) she breaks it just renew the image.

If you take one every week or two then you won't loose too much of her stuff.

Also I remember some software called GoBack, a little like system restore but actually took a comparative image every time the system starts and keeps a record of changes. I remember it made the system much slower to boot but is there was problems you could "go back".

If you are using XP Pro and want her to still be able to install software you could use permissions to lock up some folders for read only etc operation (so sort of a hybrid user/admin account. Although to be honest that could be so much more painful to set up, and could still leave you subject to "Daddy my computers broken"!

Good luck