How can I create a GPO to block .torrent extension

ceez

Hello guys...

I know that I can create hash rules and such for specific application but with so many torrent apps and even web based torrent downloading I find that creating a hash rule would be just a pebble in the ocean.

Is it possible to block extensions? As the topic title shows, I want to block .torrent files on a remote network which doesnt have all the goodies that our main corporate network has to block illegal sites and such.

Thanks for reading,

ceez

:thumbup

This is best done at a router level.

You could block the .torrent association but that wouldn't keep people from manually opening them in a bittorrent client (i.e. using File/Open). I don't think group policies can help you with this one.

router level....I would have to talk to our "router guy", but can it be possible to just deny the downloads of torrent files from the router itself?

in regards to file screening, we have that setup but it's for network shares on the servers, cant apply those rules on desktops (that I know of).

There are so many 'gaps' in group policies that it stinks....you gotta purchase 3rd party software to do basic stuff that the regular gpo should be able to handle.

thanks for the input guys,

ceez

:thumbup

Open up the security files (expand the INF files, the ones with the GRGWGX strings) and add torrent as a filetype and deny everyone access to it. Including SYSTEM, just for kicks. I am sure you're not planning on RE-installing anytime soon but this was the only thing that ocurred to me ;-)