chkdsk being cancelled all the time

az0000000

Hello,

I am on Windows XP SP2.

Windows has scheduled a chkdsk at system boot, but something is canceling it automatically.

Every time I restart Windows, it tries to run a chkdsk but never succeed because it is being automatically cancelled.

Windows says it better to run it and no matter how many times I try to schedule it, it is being cancelled.

Is there a way to find what’s canceling it and how to make sure it runs?

Where is the file that contains chkdsk command anyway?

Thanks.

Hello,

I am on Windows XP SP2.

Windows has scheduled a chkdsk at system boot, but something is canceling it automatically.

Every time I restart Windows, it tries to run a chkdsk but never succeed because it is being automatically cancelled.

Windows says it better to run it and no matter how many times I try to schedule it, it is being cancelled.

Thanks.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk

1. Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.

2. Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory.

3. Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.

2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

3. Use one of the following procedures:

To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note : If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note : If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check. if you don't want to schedule the disk then Type N.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.

3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,

4. Use one of the following procedures:

• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.

• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:

Exit code Description

0 No errors were found.

1 Errors were found and fixed.

2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.

3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

Hello,

I am on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk

1. Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.

2. Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory.

3. Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.

2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

3. Use one of the following procedures:

To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check. if you don't want to schedule the disk then Type N.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.

3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,

4. Use one of the following procedures:

• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.

• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:

Exit code Description

0 No errors were found.

1 Errors were found and fixed.

2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.

3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

Great dummies guide, thanks :)

Actually i know all this.

My problems is that during reboot check disk can't run because something is automatically canceling it.

There is a flag on your hard drive. When you shutdown properly the flag is reset. If you dont shutdown properly it isnt reset and autochk.exe runs on startup. If you keep seeing autochk run, just simply delete it from the registry.

Simply delete autochk.exe from bootexecute

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...7.mspx?mfr=true

-gosh

• 3 years later...

In order to do a defrag properly, is it really necessary to reinstall windows? This should be a much simpler answer. So, I ask the question again and hope someone out there can prove their expert knowledge and show just how simple the answer is.

What is it and why does autochk.exe act like it was canceled every time it is started at boot automatically by the dirty bit. I have done the CHKNTFS /D and registry entries but somewhere there must a switch or setting that tells the autochk that a keyboard cancel has been initiated. The two questions before this thread are 1) What is it? and 2) How do I change it?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked this page:

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm

and experimented what's on it?

Possibly completly disabling Autochk and after a reboot re-enable it may do. :unsure:

Actual Registry info here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

(tweak #82)

jaclaz