DirectX 9.0c User Runtime June 2008 Update

Dave-H

How are recent DX9 versions useful for 9x, actually? Won't the new software that might make use of it or need it probably not run on 9x anyway?

The core DirectX files for Windows 98/Me have not been updated since December 2006.

In fact, Microsoft removed the core 9x files from DirectX redists several releases ago.

This means having already installed an older version like Dec 2006 before installing the latest.

Or... adding the two missing files (DirectX.cab, BDA.cab) from Dec 2006 to the lastest fileset...

Since Dec 2006, the only changes are to Managed DirectX for .NET Framework.

Unless you have a .NET application that uses Managed DirectX, there's no real advantage...

Of course, you need .NET Framework 1.1 and/or 2.0 installed, otherwise the updates won't even install...

I install the updates anyway for completeness.

The core DirectX files for Windows 98/Me have not been updated since December 2006. ... Unless you have a .NET application that uses Managed DirectX, there's no real advantage...
I'm in the clear then. :)

@RetroOS

The core DirectX files for Windows 98/Me have not been updated since December 2006.

In fact, Microsoft removed the core 9x files from DirectX redists several releases ago.

This means having already installed an older version like Dec 2006 before installing the latest.

Or... adding the two missing files (DirectX.cab, BDA.cab) from Dec 2006 to the lastest fileset...

Since Dec 2006, the only changes are to Managed DirectX for .NET Framework.

Unless you have a .NET application that uses Managed DirectX, there's no real advantage...

Of course, you need .NET Framework 1.1 and/or 2.0 installed, otherwise the updates won't even install...

I install the updates anyway for completeness.

So let me get this straight...I must install .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 first to make the Directx 9 June 2008 redistribute to work in my Win98SE machine?

So let me get this straight...I must install .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 first to make the Directx 9 June 2008 redistribute to work in my Win98SE machine?

I have .NET Framework 1.1 installed, and the update still won't work for me.

:no:

I did have 2.0 installed as well, but I removed it to clear the registry a bit.

I doubt if that has caused the problem though.

:)

i don't know what's the reason for setup faild.but i try setupping the dx2008 yesterday,it worked fine on my computer~ :thumbup i didn't do anything about that(setup packs change files ) :rolleyes:

Any DirectX releases after December 2006 require .NET Framework installed, otherwise nothing much will install in Windows 9x from the DirectX update.

If you don't have .NET Framework 1.1 and/or 2.0 installed, the latest DirectX will still attempt to install (nothing!).

I have MDGx's 98SE2ME installed. I wonder if some updated system files from Windows Me are the reason I can install DirectX June 2008?

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried first manually unpacking the self extracting installation file (directx_9c_redist.exe), with for instance WinRAR, and then running the dxsetup.exe?

Just tried that, extracting with Universal Extractor.

Exactly the same result. an "internal error" message when dxsetup.exe scans for items to update.

Very strange, whether it's necessary or not, I still don't understand why this package won't install on an operating system that it says that it's compatible with!

:no:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea!

I was reading in another topic about how the latest DirectX files have dependancies on newer OS versions and the 'need version' file header values are now greater than 4.0... Like 5.0 and so on...

The same topic was talking about KernelEx in this regard...

So... Maybe all that is needed is to install KernelEx? (I already have it installed)

My test PC does not have KernelEx installed...

See here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71476

Well I tried the KernelEx suggestion, but I'm afraid that installing it made no difference.

I'm sure it's a good thing to have it installed anyway, so thanks RetroOS!

I then looked at Problemchyld's suggestion of substituting files from the older version.

There doesn't seem to be a file called "directx.cab".

There isn't one called "bda.cab" either. There are files called "bdant.cab" and "bdaxp.cab" though.

Are you seeing different files from me Problemchyld?

Well, to cut a long story short, from my experiments with substituting files, the files causing the problem turned out to be "dxupdate.cab" and "dxdllreg_x86.cab".

If the 2008 version of either of those files is present the installer fails.

If I have all of the 2008 files in the folder except those two, which I substitute with the 2007 versions, it works!

dxdllreg_x86.cab contains two files, "dxdllreg_x86.inf" and "dxdllreg.exe".

The inf files are identical in both versions as far as I can see.

The dxdllreg.exe files claim to be the same version (4.9.0.0904) but are of different file sizes.

The 2007 one (65KB) has a digital signature, the 2008 one (79KB) doesn't, rather surprisingly.

dxupdate.cab contains three files, "dxupdate.inf", "dxupdate.dll", and "dxupdate.cif".

The dxupdate dlls again both claim to be version 4.9.0.0904 but are of different file sizes.

The dxupdate.inf files are different. The 2008 version has entries added under the [DirectX_Update_PlugIn] section for Nov 2007, March 2008, and Jun 2008 cab files. Not unexpected of course.

The 2008 "cif" file likewise has entries added for these new cabs.

It's probably the calling of one or more of these new files that's causing the problem of course, which is why the 2007 version of "dxupdate.cab" works, because it ignore them!

Still puzzled about "dxdllreg_x86.cab" though.........

I did get some entries this time in my error log files when the install failed.

DxError.log records -

--------------------

[08/08/08 22:31:06] module: dxupdate(Jul 20 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 1091, function: CabCallback

SPFILENOTIFY_FILEEXTRACTED: error = 13.

--------------------

[08/08/08 22:31:06] module: dxupdate(Jul 20 2007), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5665, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

Failed API: SetupIterateCabinet()

Error: (13) - The data is invalid.

Unable to iterate through C:\WIN-98\TEMP\dxdllreg_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

--------------------

Anyone any ideas?

:}

Edited by Dave-H

The only files you eventually want from that package in addition to the latest DirectX 9 for 98-ME are the more recent D3DX9 files.

And those need to be fixed a bit by alterating a required OS value in the header as RetroOS wrote above and then they should work on a stock 98 install, I mean one without KernelEx.

Is this any helpfull ?

Edited by eidenk

There doesn't seem to be a file called "directx.cab".

There isn't one called "bda.cab" either. There are files called "bdant.cab" and "bdaxp.cab" though.

Unable to iterate through C:\WIN-98\TEMP\dxdllreg_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

directx.cab and bda.cab were last available in the December 2006 DirectX release (can download from MS).

The reason you cannot access dxdllreg_x86.cab (and possibly others too) is because it is in an updated Cab format.

This seems to be the core of the problem...

Try using the latest release of WinRAR, PowerArchiver or your choice of archiver to extract/view it.

I still have not determined why my 98SE can install the June 2008 DirectX...

I do have MDGx's 98SE2ME installed... This is probably the last option to test.

Is anyone using 98SE2ME able to install DirectX June 2008 without the file extraction error?

August 11, 2008

Guys/Gals,

As Microsoft has never been known for consistancy, I'd like to get your take

on the three following pages I found while surfing about DirectX:

Bug_zs

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

February 2007

File Name: directx_feb2007_redist.exe

Version: dxsdk

Date Published: 2/13/2007

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: A TON were listed, BUT

Windows 98 Or Windows 98 SE were NOT listed

Lower on the page:

Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME Are Unsupported by DirectX

Starting with the December 2006 SDK, DirectX does not support targeting

of applications for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, or Windows ME.

D3DX9_32.DLL does not install or load on these legacy operating systems.

To support these legacy operating systems, use the October SDK or an

earlier version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

June 2008

Quick Details

File Name: dxwebsetup.exe

Version: 9.24.1400

Date Published: 8/8/2008

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems:

Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Advanced Server; Windows 2000 Professional Edition;

Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3;

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;

*********************Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition*******************

Windows Home Server; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003,

Yada, Yada, Yada...

I put 9.24.1400 in MS's search engine and got this:

There are no documents that match your search for "9.24.1400"

Please try a different search above or try one of the related links below.