How shave almost 10 seconds off your boot time

cumminbk

Alright i don't know if this is something that has been posted before or not but i have been trying to get my boot time down and i had an idea. I use Zone alarm for my firewall and avast anti virus and these two programs slow my boot time considerably. I decided to disable them from automatically starting at first boot and instead placed shortcuts to the programs in my start menu's startup folder.

The results are both avast and zonealarm still boot up automatically at every system start but they are loaded after windows has loaded to the desktop (there is no slowdown once desktop is reached either) This reduces my boot time by about 10 seconds!

Just i thought i hope others will find this tip useful.

I am unsure how startup lite differs from msconfig. i downloaded the program just to check it out and when i ran it stated that no unnecessary startups where found. Which makes sense because the only program that i have showing in msconfig startup (now that avast and zonealarm are in my start menu startup folder) is my mouse driver which is required to run or my mouse doesn't function properly

Have you tried using bootvis also to optimize your boot files? It really has shaved loads of time off my startup in XP.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 <-- DL here.

Now, install and run it. The opening screen is simple, and blank. To start...

STEP 1 - Ensure all of the tickboxes on the left are ticked

STEP 2 - Click on the Trace menu at the top, and choose Next Boot + Driver Delays

STEP 3 - Click OK then the Reboot Now button. When your computer restarts, do not click on anything until BootVis opens and closes (wait around 1 minute).

STEP 4 - When it has appeared and gone, re-open BootVis.

STEP 5 - Click on the Trace menu at the top again, and choose Optimise System.

STEP 6 - Click Reboot Now, and when your computer restarts, do not click on anything until BootVis opens and shows a small window explaining what it's doing. It has finished when the box closes.

STEP 7 - Redo step 3 to see your new boottime!

All done! Your computer will now bootup (and hopefully shutdown!) quicker.

Yea i am a big fan of bootvis i have been using it for years. it always cuts time off my boot time. I also have used TuneXP's ultra-fast booting feature. i think it does the same thing as bootvis i have been trying to decide which one does a better job though. an advantage to bootvis is it shows you the display of at what point each startup item finishes loading.

i do not have vista can anyone provide me with xperf.exe and perfctrl.dll so i can try this on xp? also do any of the other programs xbootmgr.exe or xperfview.exe work in xp? if so could i be provided with those files also? i am also unable to extracted the files from the .msi