Change serial in Office 2003 Pro VLK Admin Install?

X-Ecutioner

So our company was given a new VLK corp key for office 2003 as it seems our original got leaked online somehow.

I've spent a few days trying to get a hold of the CDs for the original package but cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Is there any way to change the key we currently use in the admin install to the new serial?

Read the middle line.... I can't get a hold of the media to recreate the admin install.

I'm betting mara did read that line and trust me if if he says a new admin install is required, thats what its gonna take. he knows a thing or 2 about office.

whoever reissued you a new key should be able to supply you with the media.

Yes, I did read the middle line. But nobody still figured how to remove or change serial from admin install. Most of the people would like to remove it so they can use different serials. So, you will have to obtain yourself new Off2003 CD copy.

Cheers ;)

Actually in 2003 the serial number is stored in clear text in the created answer file and can be edited in a text editor as long as you don't change anything else.

2007 this is not the case.

Actually in 2003 the serial number is stored in clear text in the created answer file and can be edited in a text editor as long as you don't change anything else.

2007 this is not the case.

I sow you mentioning this in one more post. Mind telling us, what is the name of that answer file?

Cheers ;)

It all depends what you named it. The extension is MST.

Late reply, but you are not correct. When you create admin installation cd key is stored in .msi file and nobody still figured a way to change it or remove it.

Cheers ;)

then there must be more than one way to create an admin install point. Mine have and included MST file which has the key and can be edited.

Have you looked at the msi with ORCA to see if the key can be found with it?

IcemanND have you actually checked to make sure that it is installing Office with the Key you think it is? I have used the Custom Installation Wizard to create several MSTs and it has ignored what I have changed the key to and instead installed it under the key entered when the admin point was created.

--edit

I went back to the Customization Wizard and noticed that the place to input the Key was for a local cache copy and not for the installation...I did find that removing the Registration under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} had the effect of making office ask for a key when launched. An idea of IcemanND's posted here on MSFN about 2.5 years ago.

Edited by Gazer