language bar problem

whenever i start my system the lang. bar appears in the taskbar and i have to right -click taskbar, go into toolbars and unselect the language bar. im convinced it's a bug. and it's driving my crazy. how can i fix this?

i am preparing a unattended windows XP SP3

how can i disable it completely preventing it to appear next time i boot the PC

also how to disable welcome windows screen in my unattended XP SP3

my unattended windows installation stuck on welcome screen and ask me to go through some process like, desktop resolution, user addition blah blah

Language bar: unregister MSCTFP.DLL or try this one (I didn't try it myself though :rolleyes: But not that if you use more then 2 languages and some of them are complicated you will probably have problems with switching them (I had with Chinese, English and Russian).

Welcome sreen (setting in WINNT.SIF):

[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipWelcome=1

Edited by Oleg_II

This is how my winnt.sif looks like

still i get welcome screen

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

UnattendedSwitch=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\101_lan;Drivers\845v;Drivers\865v;Drivers\915v;Drivers\8139;Drivers\9738;Drivers\vsound;Drivers\dcom;Drivers\intl_1000;Drivers\lan;Drivers\max;Drivers\rtl_ac97;Drivers\sis;Drivers\sis630lan;Drivers\sis_lan;Drivers\WDM;Drivers\smax;Drivers\ati;Drivers\smax2;Drivers\stel;Drivers\stel2;Drivers\usb2;Drivers\via_s;Drivers\via_s2;Drivers\via_vga;Drivers\cmi;Drivers\via_rhine;D\M\3;D\M\3B;D\M\A;D\M\A2;D\M\A3;D\M\A4;D\M\A5;D\M\A6;D\M\A7;D\M\A8;D\M\AD;D\M\AD1;D\M\AD2;D\M\AD3;D\M\AD4;D\M\AD5;D\M\AD6;D\M\AD7;D\M\AD8;D\M\AD9;D\M\ADA;D\M\ADB;D\M\AM;D\M\AR;D\M\AT;D\M\AU;D\M\AU2;D\M\AU3;D\M\C;D\M\C1;D\M\C2;D\M\C3;D\M\D;D\M\D1;D\M\D2;D\M\D3;D\M\E;D\M\H;D\M\H1;D\M\H10;D\M\H1S;D\M\H2;D\M\H3;D\M\H3\H3k;D\M\H3\H3S;D\M\H4;D\M\H5;D\M\H6;D\M\H6S;D\M\H7;D\M\H7S;D\M\H8;D\M\H9;D\M\H9S;D\M\I1;D\M\I2;D\M\I3;D\M\I6;D\M\IB1;D\M\IB2;D\M\IB3;D\M\IB4;D\M\IB5;D\M\IB6;D\M\IT;D\M\J;D\M\L;D\M\L1;D\M\L2;D\M\L3;D\M\L4;D\M\L5;D\M\L6;D\M\L7;D\M\M;D\M\M2;D\M\M3;D\M\M4;D\M\N\123;D\M\N\4;D\M\N\4IN;D\M\N\5;D\M\N\6;D\M\N\TM;D\M\P;D\M\P\K;D\M\P\S;D\M\P1;D\M\P1K;D\M\P1S;D\M\P2;D\M\P2\K;D\M\P2S;D\M\P3;D\M\P4;D\M\P4K;D\M\P4S;D\M\P5;D\M\P6;D\M\P7;D\M\P8;D\M\P9;D\M\PA;D\M\PAS;D\M\PC;D\M\Q;D\M\Q2;D\M\Q3;D\M\Q4;D\M\S;D\M\S2;D\M\S2A;D\M\S3;D\M\S4;D\M\S5;D\M\S7;D\M\S7A;D\M\S7B;D\M\S8;D\M\S9;D\M\SA;D\M\SA2;D\M\SB;D\M\SB2;D\M\SB3;D\M\SB4;D\M\SB5;D\M\SC;D\M\SC2;D\M\SC3;D\M\SC4;D\M\SC5;D\M\SIS;D\M\SIS1;D\M\SIS2;D\M\V;D\M\V2;D\M\V3;D\M\V4;D\M\VM"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=193

OemSkipWelcome=1

[iEPopupBlocker]

AllowedSites=www.microsoft.com;

BlockPopups=Yes

FilterLevel=Medium

ShowInformationBar=Yes

[userData]

ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="Pawan Bhurtel"

OrgName="TeChNosOft"

ComputerName=AutoXP

[Display]

BitsPerPel=16

Xresolution=800

Yresolution=600

Vrefresh=75

AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=977

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=061

LongDistanceAccess="15113"

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=workgroup

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

AccessOpt=off

msnexplr=off

zonegames=off

Media_clips=off

Dialer=off

Fax=off

Hypertrm=off

Media_utopia=off

Mousepoint=off

Media_clips=off

Templates=off

TerminalServer=off

Clipbook=off

Deskpaper=off

Home_Page=http://www.google.com.np

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff=No

CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\pb.Theme"

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

[GuiRunOnce]

command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

%systemdrive%\install\run.exe

winnt.sif

Edited by Nepali

But not that if you use more then 2 languages and some of them are complicated you will probably have problems with switching them (I had with Chinese, English and Russian).

Even with easy languages, it's still a pain. I use the english keyboard layout primarily, and french when I'm forced to pretty much.

There's only 3 key combos to switch layouts AND also language:

ctrl-shift -- something i use a LOT in explorer.exe to select file ranges, when you already selected some files holding control. This is totally unusable for me, and it happens to be the default too.

grave accent -- something you use lots in french, so not an option

left alt + shift -- what I'm using, for the lack of a better option!

This is how my winnt.sif looks like

still i get welcome screen

a) use OEMSkipWelcome = 1 in [GuiUnattended]

b) OemPnPDriversPath in [unattended] is too long! Max size can be 255 or something around that.

c) If you want to disable the landbar only, use the attached reg-file.

langbar.reg

Edited by an3k

How to turn off the Office Language Bar in Office XP and in Office 2003?

So that removes it from Office... If I'm going to type in Notepad will I have it then? ;) And even if it is not shown up... Should you really go through all these steps? :whistle:

OK, if you only want to remove Language Bar (this EN/CN/RU/etc button from Taskbar) find and delete from your regestry this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"

That will ONLY remove this button (you want see it any more) and will NOT remove a few languages support at the same time and the ability to switch languages with keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:

Would it be a clear answer then? :rolleyes:

PS There are always a few way to accomplish one task. And it depends on what a person wants to accomplish ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

The registry entries would be:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF]
"Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB]
"ShowDeskBand"=dword:0

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\Langbar]
"ShowStatus"=dword:0
"ExtraIconsOnMinimized"=dword:0

Yeah, there's something fishy in that article (from Microsoft? Who would have thought? :D) about the values ShowDeskBand and ShowStatus (notice the title of the article!)

OK, this is the one that should get rid of the Langbar once and for all. :)

You can't just remove ctfmon.exe from [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run], it will come back. Also, you can't just un-regsvr it. IIRC, there was a hack at the time with un-regsvr'ing another dll, but this is the 'clean' way of doing it. The same can be accomplished with the GUI in: control panel/regional & language options/languages tab/details button/advanced tab/turn off advanced text services (phew that was long :) ).

And it's the same bar (Office/Windows).

GL

*Edit: to clarify, this will get rid of the button and the indicator only, you will still be able to switch languages with the keyboard.

Edited by GrofLuigi

Maybe something has changed from 2k to XP, but on Win2k atleast, then i ditch the language bar with this reg-tweak :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"internat.exe"=-

(I disabled it in Windows first and then afterwards traced the changed reg-entries...)

Btw, from searching alittle, then several pages stated that ctfmon.exe where for MS Office and internat.exe for Windows...

You can't just remove ctfmon.exe from [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run], it will come back.
Believe me, I do it and it doesn't reapper :D

As for unregistering DLL - I gave the name before (actually there are two DLL files and one IME file that handle languages swithing in XP if I'm not mistaken, I found it when adding language support after deleting all languages and keyboards from distro). But it may turn off switching languages in some cases (not always, for example, I have Chinese Simplified and English USA or English USA and Russian working fine in these pairs, but three of them at the same time won't co-exist, if three languages are choosen with this DLL unregistered Russian won't appear at all...).

Martin H

No, XP doesn't have INTERNAT.EXE... But you can use it alone with INDICDLL.DLL in SYSTEM32 (both files come from W2k, make a shorcut and place it in startup folder or use regestry setting you just gave us if you want it working right after system loads or just place the shortcut on Desktop in case you want to use Language Bar sometime). IMHO, it looks better and more convinient (but may not have all advanced features - that I don't use anyway :rolleyes:

Edited by Oleg_II

Martin H

No, XP doesn't have INTERNAT.EXE...

Sorry about that then, and thank's for the correction, mate :)

(Btw, the reason for that i thought it where the same on XP also, where because i had googled and found two different pages stating that internat.exe where for showing the language bar and that it on both 2k and XP where located in '%windir%\system32\'...)

CU, Martin.