Auto Patcher START_ME will not execute

have just installed a new windows 98 SE operating system on a computer. I have attempted to run Auto Patcher but I continue to get the following error message followed by a freeze up and then the BSOD which means that I have to manually shut down the computer.

The error message is as follows:

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated.

Quit all programs, and then restart your computer.

If the program consistently encounters problems, chick the START button, then select HELP, TROUBLESHOOTING AND "if you have trouble running MS DOS programs.

It then tells you to right click on the program go to properties/advanced and check the prevent MS DOS recognition box aand attempt to run the program. If the same situation occurs, then go through the same process and UNCHECK the box.

I have gone through both of those scenarios and I still get the error message. Can you help? I am running the Dec. 2007 Auto Patcher program.

Thanks

I had a lot of trouble getting Autopatcher to run the last time I used it too.

It didn't actually crash, it just wouldn't run at all!

This was due to a lack of environment space, caused by me having too much rubbish in my autoexec.bat file.

It needs to be a "bare bones" one.

Unfortunately I'm not in front of the machine in question at the moment, so I can't tell you what I ended up with, but I'll let you know if you like so you can try it.

:)

Dave-H

Thanks for the reply. I have resolved the problem by borrowing a Linksys internet card and installing it on a temporary basis then downloading the required files over satellite. Microsoft will still scan the Windows 98 SE operating system and download and install the required security updates.

That being said, I would appreciate any information that you can provide on getting auto-patcher to run. I can visualize that it would be a real time saver if I have to go through this again for any reason.

Thanks very much for your response. I always appreciate help of any kind and many times I am albe to pass on what I learn to others.

Thanks again

This is the autoexec.bat file that I had to use to get Autopatcher to run.

@ECHO OFF

CLS

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EGA.CPI) >nul

MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=850 >nul

KEYB UK,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\KEYBOARD.SYS

Rename your autoexec.bat to autoexec.old, copy and paste the above into notepad and save it as autoexec.bat in c:\

Reboot and try Autopatcher again and see if it now works.

It will set up things for the UK, as that's where I am!

No harm in giving it a try, and if it fixes the problem you can then modify your own autoexec.bat accordingly so AP works with your USA settings.

If this doesn't work by itself, you may need to do the same with your config.sys file.

Here's mine -

SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /E:768 /P

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS

COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS

DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Dave-H