SBS 2003 - Wireless Connection - IP Dropping

psb

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a technophobe so bear with me...

SETUP: I have a small office and have 2 pcs, both laptops, connected to the server wirelessly (the server has 1 NIC, which is connected to a switch - the wireless router is connected via ethernet to the switch. DHCP has been disabled in the router and the server does the IP address allocation).

PROBLEM: Very occasionally either one or both of the laptops will lose it's connection to the internet... typically they happen at different times but occasionally together. When it only happens to one, the other can still connect to the internet and server without problems. In most cases a simple 'Repair' on the wireless connection sorts the problem.. occasionally we have to do it 2 or 3 times.

So I'm assuming this is an IP issue? Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it? It's happened 3-4 times today and is quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance. Paul :-)

How strong is the wireless connection? Are you losing the wireless signal? Or do you still have a wireless signal and no connection to internet and server? Do the laptops have wireless built in or PCMCIA cards? Can you plug the laptops in via cables and still have the same problem? Last are the laptops next to any appliances, microwave, wireless phones, etc.

The wireless signal is excellent and it remains connected. There is nothing nearby that could be interfering with the signal... but as the laptops always remains connected to the router signal is not the problem.

Although connected the router, the connection to the internet just drops until the connection is 'Repaired'. Could IP Lease times be causing this?