Vistapack 2.6 released

damian666

Well, somehow I really messed it up and beings it was a clean install I just re-installed Win2K and repatched.

I then installed Vistapack again and everything worked fine (although I had to refresh the iconcache a few times to get them to show, was strange I found the refresher program buried in my temp files under my administrator account).

The icons turning into the universal "windows does not recognize" icon seems to be a bug in all windows if I recall correctly when you drag a stored My Documents folder over a new one. So it's nothing to do with your program specifically. I preemptively fixed it by just dragging the folder contents instead of the folder itself on this install. For some reason it has to do with them being Windows system files or somesuch.

Now about tclock. I loaded up your En- preset file and all it did was turn the entire thing black and transparent. For some reason it wouldn't show the Start button or any windows/dividers. The only thing I could seem to change was how the clock was displayed. Very strange UI for a program like that, was definitely hard to follow. I haven't figured out how to work it still so I don't know what to do. I noticed there's a segment to upload a windowblinds skin. Is there a Vista skin I could use with it and would it even work with win2k (I know windowblinds had alot of problems on win2k, but apparently Tclock is just using the skin to apply settings...)? This program just confuses me greatly so I just let it unload after reboot. Could you possibly write how you got it to look like yours? Like what buttons you pressed in what order?

Everything else seems to be running fine. If I can get the taskbar to skin properly I might try messing with the icon settings in Win2K to see if I can get some more interesting ones(been working on modding a few glassy ones from a Vista skin from an old dock program I have). Not to knock yours of course, they are extremely well done; sometimes I just like changing colors around for icons for different schemes.

Edited by Jamochawoke

well, good that ya fixed it. ^^

and now you know why Tclock is not installed by default :P

its a b***h to work with, trust me, i know...

you can check if full skinning is enabled, and run through the options one by one to see if ya can enable some

stuff.

oh, and dont use a windows blinds skin, just dont... trust me on that.

as i said before, it needs a lot of playing with the options, and i cant even start to write a full guide on it, would

take me ages :)

Damian666

I have downloaded your new vistapack version 2.6 and I have experienced problems with the CD Patch option.

After I have installed Windows XP with SP3 and Vistapack 2.6 integrated, the screen turns black. It doesn't complete the installation and the only way out of this is to reinstall with the original/another XP CD.

The problem occur after bootscreen and before the final wizard (when you create user accounts).

This problem has occured using VirtualBox (Virtual computer) since I don't want to risk such failures on my own computer.

Do you know what the problem is?

Edited by prebenandre

I have downloaded your new vistapack version 2.6 and I have experienced problems with the CD Patch option.

After I have installed Windows XP with SP3 and Vistapack 2.6 integrated, the screen turns black. It doesn't complete the installation and the only way out of this is to reinstall with the original/another XP CD.

The problem occur after bootscreen and before the final wizard (when you create user accounts).

This problem has occured using VirtualBox (Virtual computer) since I don't want to risk such failures on my own computer.

Disable Windows File Protection (SFC) using nLite, or some other software if you can find it.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

I decided to take another look at getting my bling on under a limited account (post 206/208). It seems that the only problem lies in the fact that some necessary files are installed into the profile of the administrator that installed Vistapack (only tested under W2K).

It's pretty easy for another Administrator class account to get all the pretty effects, one only has to execute the following command (after installing, before rebooting):

Copy "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Vistapack\Vistapack.lnk" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\"

Which makes the program link available to all users.

To get it to work for a limited account, one first has to install SubInACL to %SystemRoot%, then execute the following command (after installing, before rebooting):

SubInACL /file "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\Refresher.exe" /grant=everyone=r

Which gives everyone read access to Refresher.exe. SubInACL is an great utility as it makes it feasible to run as a limited user, see here (for W2K get the files from this post).

When you login to a new, unblinged (is that a word?) account, it will have the standard W2K look and feel, but when you run Vistapack it will say that the effects are already applied. No problem, just uninstall and reinstall the effects you want (I like all but Tbar personally).

The only problem I have now is the AutoIt error on silent install.

lol, good find man :D very nice job.

and about the autoit error...

when the new anolis, or XPize is released, old damian is proberly migrating to that.

only downfall... it needs .net2 to run.

but it will be much cleaner and better then autoit.

it will even support X64 files :P

but nothing is decided, just wait for it.

Damian666

Disable Windows File Protection (SFC) using nLite, or some other software if you can find it.

Cheers ;)

Thanks, I hope this will fix the problem. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, now how do I get it to work?

I downloaded and installed Vistapack 2.6. It changed my desktop icons to Vista style witch I hate (I have everything customized, so I changed all that back) got rid of the dial up networking icon on the taskbar so I have no idea what ie is doing (if anything) and that's all.

I clicked "install Tbar" and nothing happened.

My taskbar, toolbar, status bar, scroll bars, menu bars, office toolbar, etc., are not changed, everything looks like Windows 2000 unless I turn on TrueTrans, but I don't like TrueTrans.

I want it to look like the screenshots, exept for the colors, whitch I assume are still changeable.

> you hate vista,

You weren't paying attention, were you? I said:

>>my desktop icons to Vista style witch I hate

Maybe I wasn't very clear about that, but I was pretty clear when I said:

>>My taskbar, toolbar, status bar, scroll bars, menu bars, office toolbar, etc., are not changed, everything looks like

>>Windows 2000 unless I turn on TrueTrans, but I don't like TrueTrans.

>>I want it to look like the screenshots, exept for the colors, whitch I assume are still changeable.

I want the stuff around the windows to look like the screenshots you posted. Many (not all) vista Icons look cheap and detail free, and resemble those Jell-O "jiglers" Mr. Cosby used to advertize. I prefer the icons from the '9x "plus" themes, and other downloadable themes.

The rest of Vista can look very nice with the right colors.