Vistapack 2.6 released

damian666

Hi all.. I've install the pack.. A great "upgrade" to vista for me.. Had a problem though, my firefox crashed.. Even uninstall and install again doesn't solve the problem.. Living with the Opera for the time being.. but had a problem too with opera as its doesn't really support my online banking websites.. Need my firefox back!!

Please help..

well, what can i say...

its tested on windows with IE7, you cant expect me to test every programs compatibility now do ya?

its most certainly a file that firefox uses, which is patched by me, just fully uninstall the pack.

and see what happens, it should go away...

firefox = no vistapack

sorry

Damian666

@wammie

hi man, try to see if deadalus is still installed, and if so... take it out, OR see if teh color depth is correctly set to 32bit.

also desktop bpp must be 32bpp.

that can cause it too, and yes... higher dpi does that i am afraid...

Damian666

@Damian666

BPP was set at 32 for desktop, and also icons via X-Setup. That Deadalus component is badly behaved, caused overruns and application start failures for more than one app. Uninstalled! Is Daedalus part of this package? What about the script error, any idea why that happened at startup?

I am VERY hesitant to try another install of this package.

well, what can i say...

its tested on windows with IE7, you cant expect me to test every programs compatibility now do ya?

its most certainly a file that firefox uses, which is patched by me, just fully uninstall the pack.

and see what happens, it should go away...

firefox = no vistapack

sorry

Damian666

OK then.. going to ie7 now...

yes, daedalus is part of the package, but you can always go to the rpl2k thread.

daedalus is beta, but promising, personally i havent seen anything wrong with it, thats why we released it.

we need user feedback.

and well, i cant force you to try again man... you can always wait a few versions.

and yes, i found out the scripterror, actually a stupid mistake...

i fixed it, wait for new one.

Damian666

yes, daedalus is part of the package, but you can always go to the rpl2k thread.

daedalus is beta, but promising, personally i havent seen anything wrong with it, thats why we released it.

we need user feedback.

and well, i cant force you to try again man... you can always wait a few versions.

and yes, i found out the scripterror, actually a stupid mistake...

i fixed it, wait for new one.

Damian666

Damian666, thanks for the response and great work! I'll wait and see what develops, perhaps try again later. I'd be more enthused if Daedalus was removed from the package.

Hi all.. I've install the pack.. A great "upgrade" to vista for me.. Had a problem though, my firefox crashed.. Even uninstall and install again doesn't solve the problem.. Living with the Opera for the time being.. but had a problem too with opera as its doesn't really support my online banking websites.. Need my firefox back!!

Please help..

Happy to report that I've uninstall the program, install back my firefox and then reinstall vistapack and it worked..

Again.. great program.. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

damian, I was doing some heavy resource modifications on my XP install, which included applying your pack. But, I noticed that you use modifype.exe with you VistaPack which is not compatible with Vista. I was patching the XP CD with your patcher when I noticed this. So, you might consider replacing modifype with pechecksum.exe so your patcher is compatible with Vista. It is also command line tool and is has slightly different command line usage:

pechecksum.exe -c <filepath>

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Damian I love your Vistapack for Win2k!

I am having 2 very specific problems though. I just did a clean install of Win2k Service Pack 4 and then updated all my drivers and windows update.

Then I installed Vistapack. Everything works great except:

1) The taskbar doesn't display correctly after install. All it did was grey out the normal Win2k taskbar. How do I get that fancy Vista taskbar to display? I tried uninstalling, rebooting, installing, rebooting and still no dice.

2) I transferred the My Documents folder I had saved on a seperate hard drive before doing the clean Win2k install. Then I noticed that all the "My ----" folders that had unique icons turned into your standard "Windows doesn't know what this file is" icon except for My Music which just turned into the default file folder. Any Way I can fix that?

Here's a screenshot showing both problems:

errorph7.png

nice, not the errors, but the report is very nice.

thats something i can work with ^^.

1./ the "fancy" taskbar is done by a program called Tclock, but due to it having some compatibility issues, i dont install that by default, nor

do i link to it in the program.

its a advanced feature sort of speak, it is present in the installation, look in the vistapack folder, and then extra's.

you can run it from there, but it needs some work to get it up and runnning mind you.

when executed, your clock will vanish, try to find the exact spot it should be , and look for a Tclock popup text, there you right click

and choose options or something like that.

look tru the tabs, and see if ya can find the import setings, the settings file is located in the same dir as the Tclock program.

applying that will get you started, rest is up to you. just play around with it :D

2./ the second problem, is a weird one... i know of the folders in the browse dialog disapearing, or turning black, but this one...

my guess is that it is due to daedalus, the new 32bit engine that i introduced in this version...

How to install:

Uninstall any previous version

Make sure your desktop is in 32-bit colors mode

Copy the binaries to "%systemroot%\system32"

Change in the registry: HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, "Shell Icon BPP" to 32

Click Start->Run and then type "daedsrvc -i"

REBOOT (do not relogin, REBOOT)

Clear your shell icon cache

How to uninstall:

Click Start->Run and then type "daedsrvc -u"

Change in the registry: HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, "Shell Icon BPP" back to 16 (optional)

REBOOT (not relogin, REBOOT)

Delete the binaries (optional)

Clear your shell icon cache

there you see the way to uninstall it, try that, and let me know if it has any effect.

that way we can make sure we have the thing causing it.

thanx for trying, and not flipping out ^^

Damian666

Edited by damian666