SFXMaker 1.3.1 Final - a Switchless Installer maker

iuli_kyle

Hessam, i identified the problem, but it may be caused by two different things, which one i don't know for sure. If you would like, i can send you a test version, so can you give an IM ID ? Y!M will be preferred :)

Hessam, i identified the problem, but it may be caused by two different things, which one i don't know for sure. If you would like, i can send you a test version, so can you give an IM ID ? Y!M will be preferred :)

hi

if you can send me as pm here.and tell me what to test.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello

thanks a lot of immediate response. I unfortunately do not make a debug.log and then I know I'm looking on the web as you do. I'll let you know soon, thanks again.

Hello to all

I solved it, I tried the software on VMware Workstation and work fine, the problem is that my OS formatterò soon.

Thank you so much collaboration.

• 1 month later...

OK, color me confused....what is this program FOR ?? :w00t:

I couldn't find anything in the first post that explains what it DOES....in other words...WHY I would use it. I went to Iuli's website for a description, but couldn't find it there either.

Does this take an already-installed App, configured the way I like it, and repackage it back up into an silent-installer? If so, that's cool and something I'd really like to have!

If not.....then what do people use this SFXmaker -for-?

thanks!

Edited by grubstake

Hello,

My little tool is used basically to create switchless installers of the installers provided by software developers. It packs that installer in a self-extracting archive which, after executed, will run it with some parameters, silent switches, so there will be minimum, preferably none user interaction over the installation process of that application. What is this useful for ? Just think how much time you can spare if applications will install by them self, of course, with the default settings, but sometimes configurable through the silent switches. This is applicable to Windows installation process (if you want to include your favorite software), or when installing the same software on, let's say, 100 computers (i had to do this, but lucky me had SFXMaker covering my back). Basically this is it ! I let you discover other things :)

Yeah, it can do what you exemplified, as long as the application is registry independent. Actually ... screw that, it can make installers for applications that use Windows registry, as long as you include the registry along with a batch file and the application itself. But that's more like a portable application, which is not the purpose of my tool.

Got it now ? :P

I know my website is just a piece of junk (i made that when i was learning web-developing), i'm actually working on a new one. Stay tuned !

Edited by iuli_kyle

hi Iuli !

Thanks much for your kind, and informative, reply. :thumbup

So it wraps an installer around the existing installer...

I guess I'm still missing something....I thought that nLite provided for specifying switches for each installer I tell it to run after XP-setup finishes and XP restarts...yes?...no?

Please understand that, although I'm quite familiar with PC's, and have been installing NT since the NT3.51 days...I have -not- used nLite yet. I am right now in the 'research' phase....learning how to use it...especially, how to unpack these #@$#@ Lenovo T60 drivers and arrange them in a way that I actually get a proper automatic installation of them all (oh my, what fun we're having now... :lol: ).

Anyway, I might well be confused, or simply ignorant, about the apps-install portion of the nLite process. If so...if I'm asking something 'stupid'....go ahead and laugh...or lambast me....I don't mind. :blushing:

You said...

"Just think how much time you can spare if applications will install by them self, of course, with the default settings, but sometimes configurable through the silent switches. This is applicable to Windows installation process (if you want to include your favorite software),"

oh yeah dude....I AM thinking just that!!...that's why I'm on this thread in the first place, eh? :thumbup

My goal in this...

I want to end up with an nLited XPsp3 for a Thinkpad T60 which automatically and unattendedly installs XPsp3, all the T60 drivers (chip, imsm, hotkey/smif, power-manager, g945 video, uaa, soundmax, pro1000 enet, 3945wifi, bluetooth, ultranav, etc), AND a set of about 10-15 apps.... (All in 'cleanest' possible config....no phoning home, no auto-updates, etc)

Tbird email

Firefox 3.6.28

JRE

FDM aka free download mgr

CDXP

ImgBurn

Emule

Mirc

WinRar

MediaMonkey3

Mathcad

Foxit

Filezilla

Audacity

CodecPak

WMP

uTorr

Nirsoft collection

SysInternals collection

and a handful of XP utils

2nd goal... I'd like to be able to take this finished set of nLite/others configs-profiles that does all that, and twitch the drivers folder so that it makes the same install but for Thinkpad T61....and then again for an Acer X1200 mini tower....and then again for a few others...

Like....without having to do all the config stuff from scratch again. I'm essentially a hardware guy, not a coder. Don't know C, don't know scripting, etc.. Most of the 'guides' I've read so far have post after post and page after page of script-writing etc.. I get disheartened, ya know? :lol:

Especially, I have yet to find a truly step-by-step and FULLY explained guide for the Lenovo thinkpad drivers. Like, how to unpack the "hotkey" package and nLite it so that the SMI (system management interface) driver gets installed early, but the rest of the Hotkey package (like OnScreen Display etc) not until after all the hdw drivers.

Well, I will keep looking. Thank you again Iuli.....appreciate your kind and quick reply. B) B)

Grubstake

• 1 month later...