98SE on a 2.2 Ghz system-won't install

gmackner

i run a graphic CAD program that is made to run on 98. i can get an upgrade for it to run on xp and newer but it costs $1500 so i have been running it on my old hp computer with a 466 cpu. well a few months the MB quit. i got a newer MB but the cpu rins at 2.2 Gzh and i can't 98 se into it. 98 will install but se won't. i removed the ram so it's only 512. i can install SE but it just hangs up upon reboot. i can reboot in safemode. is there anyworkaround for this?

Out of curiosity, what CAD app is it? There might be ways to get it installed for now (or you can look for an old/cheap spare computer for it), in which case you're still stuck using win98 on that box. Eventually, you're just going to have to upgrade (say, if 98se can't install on whatever newest hardware, for lacking support for whatever hardware). Also, did you try to run it in compatibility mode?

There might be a free solution (like QCad community edition), or cheaper (not 1500$) ones like ProgeCAD and others (many based on intellicad) that would do the job even better.

It's definitely a better solution, if it runs. I saw things about some machines needing an old special ISA network card and such, not sure what kind of hardware or hardware access it needs, so dunno if using vmware is possible.

The processor frequency sure isn't a problem: I run 98SE on an overclocked Athlon XP at 2.4 GHz. And there is people using even faster processors. Read this thread carefully Day-to-day-running-Win-9x-ME-with-more-than-1-GiB-RAM. For me it's either a driver problem or ACPI incompatibility. Try to install Win 98SE by running "setup /p i" (without the inverted double-commas) from the command line, to have it install without ACPI support. My guess is that it'll solve your problem.

i run a graphic CAD program that is made to run on 98. i can get an upgrade for it to run on xp and newer but it costs $1500 so i have been running it on my old hp computer with a 466 cpu. well a few months the MB quit. i got a newer MB but the cpu rins at 2.2 Gzh and i can't 98 se into it. 98 will install but se won't. i removed the ram so it's only 512. i can install SE but it just hangs up upon reboot. i can reboot in safemode. is there anyworkaround for this?

Are you replacing the hard drive? Base 98SE hates today's larger hard drives. Can be patched, but the original disk doesn't have the newer code. One reason guys build custom 98SE install CDs, there's a project or two on this site to do that.

You can do a step by step reboot and see which module fails on loading, a log file can be useful, too, if you can get into Safe mode to read it. Processor speed won't have anything to do with it. Onboard peripherals might.

Stan

I had the same problem with my installation some years ago.

Here's the microsoft support page to fix the problem.....................

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/108079/EN-US/

Windows 98se has a problem with system having more than 512mb of memory.

Your problem can be solved by editing the SYSTEM.INI file.

1. Open the System.ini file in a text editor, such as Microsoft Windows Notepad.

2. Go to the [VCache] section.

3. Change the MinFileCache= and the MaxFileCache= settings to the desired value.

NOTE: The value for these settings are in kilobytes. For example, if you want to create a 50-MB cache that cannot exceed 55 MB, the lines would be as follows:

[VCache]

MinFileCache=51200

MaxFileCache=56320

Edited by Blekthor