Hmmm how strange

devil270975

Hi peeps, i have a hardware fault that i can't seem to get to the bottom of, normal running of windows is fine no matter how long my laptop has been on or how much i stress/benchmark it, the problem arises whenever i try and reinstall windows, no matter what media i use original cd, unattended cd, or i boot from a different partition my pc shuts down at some point during text mode if my pc has been on a while, however if i then turn my machine off and leave it for an hour and try again i have no problem whatsoever. I know there is not a problem with my cd's or my recovery partition as they work flawlessly everytime when my system has been off for an hour or so, the longer it has been off the further through textmode it gets, it has never shutdown after the first boot after textmode. And no matter how hard i try i cannot get it to do the same during a window's session. Any suggestion's?

• 2 weeks later...

hmm yes that is sorta strange lol. my guess (which might and might not work) is i would try and reload it with a Windows 2000 JUST to see what happens.. going from that i would turn the laptop on its side and have a fan blow directly onto the computers bottom to keep it cooled down. Mabe something in windows somehow is causing it to get a little warm? im not sure im just throwing that out there :-D

The ONLY difference between when your PC has been off for an hour or so, or just a few seconds, is it had time to cool down while it was off for an hour.

Installing is CPU intensive, and I/O intensive too (hard disk and DVD drive). CPUs under load makes heat, an DVD drives reading data non-stop for a while makes a considerable amount of heat too.

When it runs normally, the CPU is not always at max load, and your DVD drive isn't reading non-stop too. Both combined makes for a lot of heat.

Try looking at the temperature of the air coming out of it while it installs (fan speed/noise can be a good indication too).

If you have some cold environment where you can place it while you install (like right by the exit of an air conditioner), you could try that, just to see how far it gets.

Try looking at the temperature of the air coming out of it while it installs (fan speed/noise can be a good indication too).

If you have some cold environment where you can place it while you install (like right by the exit of an air conditioner), you could try that, just to see how far it gets.

:thumbup