Vista replaced by windows 7.... why?

john959

hello

i bought vista ulimate and it's very expensive OS and i wonder why MS relasing such expensive product to be replaced by windows 7 in a year or two

they should give more attention to vista and make it worth a while for at least 6 more years

am sick of paying MS too much money .. at least they should give us who bought ulimate a free windows 7 copy

a 300USD OS is crazy amount of money

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

sorry for the bad engirish

Edited by john959

You didn't have to go out and waste $300 on Vista in the first place! If you did your research, you would have found that it's better to stick with Windows XP Pro and wait till Windows 7. But wait until Windows 7 has been out for at least a year so that your not one of Microsoft's Guinea Pigs like most consumers are who rush out to buy the latest OS!

And no they shouldn't give attention to Vista for another 6 years, they should be quick to replace it like they did with Windows ME. I find Vista to be kind of one of those "bastard childs"....

Yes Win7 is slated for 2009-2010 but MS said the would be returning to their old way of releasing a new version every few years. However no one will force you to upgrade. Vista will be supported until 2012 (extended support until 2017). thats what your are paying for. but if you paid 300$ im guessing you bought Ultimate -which is a massive waste of money. most of the extras in ultimate can be easily replaced by cheap or free 3rd party software.

for more info about lifecycle dates you can check this link: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin

I'm one of the people that thinks XP should have been shelved about a year after SP2. A return to the 3 year release cycle will be a good thing in the long run. XP got stale to me and consumer level PC users got too comfortable with it and cant give it up now.

edit: i see where you said you bought ultimate now. IMO, its still a waste of money. i would have gone with home prem or business/enterprise

Vista will be supported until 2012.

LOL wtf, it's not even working properly two years after release and only a minority uses, why the heck would they release new OS? I assume it won't be compatible with anything we got today.

You didn't have to go out and waste $300 on Vista in the first place! If you did your research, you would have found that it's better to stick with Windows XP Pro and wait till Windows 7.

My research told me Vista x64 would be a good match for my 4GB laptop with 8800M GTX DX10-capable video card.

I also considered the fact that when Windows XP was released in 2001 I ran a P4 1.7Ghz (socket 423) with RDRAM and I had a 3DFx video card, along with PATA hard drives and 10/100 ethernet. When I thought about what XP was designed to run on, and how far I have come, I decided that XP, like the socket 423 CPU and 3DFx video card, was probably ready to be replaced.

I haven't run a 32-bit operating system on real hardware since January 2007.

Edited by S.SubZero

i bought vista ulimate and it's very expensive OS and i wonder why MS relasing such expensive product to be replaced by windows 7 in a year or two

they should give more attention to vista and make it worth a while for at least 6 more years

I'm sure there will be upgrades available, and if Windows 7 really does ship in "a year or two" I'm sure it won't be expensive to upgrade.

I'm also sure that much like every other OS Microsoft has ever released, it will both be 1. late, and 2. worth waiting for SP1.

Edited by S.SubZero

From what I'm guessing Microsoft is making Vista like ME. Just a live test of an OS so they can have all the bugs worked out before the next major one. EXACTLY like they did going from ME to 2000.

From what I'm guessing Microsoft is making Vista like ME. Just a live test of an OS so they can have all the bugs worked out before the next major one. EXACTLY like they did going from ME to 2000.

Except for the fact that Windows 2000 shipped BEFORE Windows Me. lol

LOL wtf, it's not even working properly two years after release and only a minority uses, why the heck would they release new OS? I assume it won't be compatible with anything we got today.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about XP in 2003. Sigh.

"hay guyz let's make fun of Vista M$ suxxx lol"

*yawn* while I'm starting the prep-work getting my gaming rig backed up so when the new parts come I can nuke it and re-do it with Vista Business x64. XP64 served me well, but the times are changing, and it's time to look ahead.

Vista will be supported until 2012.

That's mainstream support. Mainstream support for XP ends in 2009. And support doesn't end there, it goes on for another 5 years (extended support ends in 2014).

So extended support for Vista will end in 2017 at the earliest.

As for the not working properly, I don't see to have those problems you might be referring to... I've had 0 issues with Vista so far (mind you I wasn't an early adopter, only been using it since SP1 came out)

Vista Ultimate here is $200 too, not 300 (home premium is only 117$)

I'm one of the people that thinks XP should have been shelved about a year after SP2. A return to the 3 year release cycle will be a good thing in the long run. XP got stale to me and consumer level PC users got too comfortable with it and cant give it up now.

I totally agree. An upgrade to XP was WAY overdue.

Vista Ultimate here is $200 too, not 300 (home premium is only 117$)

where? are you talking about retail boxed version? OEM is limited to only one computer.. once you install your liecense will be fixed to that computer and you can't move it later if you upgrade .. check the EULA.. retail you can move it as much as you want

also where i can buy the 200USD ultimate? mine comes with a big box and two DVDs 32/64bit + manual and alot of useless papers