Acrobat Reader Pro vs Foxit

D_block

Well i havent got around to using Foxit as yet, but i have acrobat reader professional 8 . Have any of you guys who used both here seen the difference .

I like pro because it can pdf web pages as i look at them, txt files pictures i can pdf with out opening :thumbup and i can save as .doc ( office 03 ) format almost instantly ...

Well i kno Foxit is lighter and what not , but wha other good features does it have ?

Vmware didnt slow down my pc, so acrobat cant !!! lol

Well i havent got around to using Foxit as yet, but i have acrobat reader professional 8 . Have any of you guys who used both here seen the difference .

There is no such thing as acrobat reader pro!

It's either:

-acrobat reader

or

-acrobat pro (or standard, or pro extended)

The first is just a reader, just like foxit reader. You can view PDF files, and that's about it. Foxit is a LOT faster, very lightweight, but it lacks some advanced features that < 1% of the population uses.

Pro is to make PDF documents, but that's $450(!) and truly overkill for most people. There are plenty of other solutions out there to create PDF files that don't cost an arm and a leg, some are even free. I like fineprint pdf factory myself ($50). Foxit PDF Creator is $35.

Acrobat Pro has the most advanced features (that most people don't use), it's the most expensive of them all (and by a long shot), and it's pretty much a full CD whereas most of the others are only like 5 to 10MB.

I had found one difference.

Foxit did not allow me to fill PDF Forms.

Foxit did not function like Adobe Reader when the PDF was a slideshow pdf.

The only good thing I found in Foxit reader was the speed of opening PDF files.

Foxit did not allow me to fill PDF Forms.

Foxit did not function like Adobe Reader when the PDF was a slideshow pdf.

That's the "advaced features that almost no one uses" I was talking about (IIRC they also support 3D stuff and such too). In many many years of using PDF documents, I've never seen one of either kind. It's understandable most people don't create such documents too, because they don't work in most PDF viewers (like foxit, likely most linux readers, etc -- anything non-acrobat), and they're typically created with acrobat pro (the most expensive solution of them all).

The only good thing I found in Foxit reader was the speed of opening PDF files.

That's the whole point. It's lightweight/darn fast, whereas acrobat reader in the last few years has gotten slower and slower (not sure how the latest are, it's been a while since I've used it), to the point where it takes as long as photoshop to open pretty much, whereas with foxit, the app is open and your document is displayed in like 1 second.

Oh ya, also, foxit doesn't even need to be installed (and doesn't leave traces behind or anything -- only thing it does, is associate itself with PDF files if you tell it to, no shell extensions and files everywhere and such). Whereas acrobat reader has an installer that takes a while (thanks to FEAD/NOSSO for pointlessly making things even slower), is slower to load, uses way more space (the installer is almost 100MB -- just look at %Temp%\Adobe Reader 8\ during install, or ~125MB installed. that's a lot of space for a simple viewer -- about 25x more space than the others) and all.

acrobat pro offers encryption similar to that in office 07 , which prompts for a pword to open files ... does Foxit have it . i constanly create pdf documents so this is good for me plus it can pdf IE7 or 6 with one click once d page is loaded an keeps the form fill options

acrobat pro offers encryption similar to that in office 07 , which prompts for a pword to open files ... does Foxit have it .

Office password protection has always been a joke. It's trivial to remove (for older versions, just overwrite the right bytes in the header with 0's, document security with the newer ones, you unzip the doc, open it, remove the sheetProtection XML tags or such, save, rezip it, done!)

As for .pdf passwords, not sure. Never seen a password protected .pdf file. Does Foxit PDF Creator have the feature? No idea. Does the Foxit Reader support password protected PDF files? No idea either. Attach a small password protected PDF file (of a blank page or whatever) along with the password, and I'll see if it can open it.

I personally have no use for a fancy $450 app to generate a basic PDF once a month.

Does the Foxit Reader support password protected PDF files? No idea either. Attach a small password protected PDF file (of a blank page or whatever) along with the password, and I'll see if it can open it

I have a pdf file here id like to send to you, how do i send it ? i have pword protected it and also made it unprintable unless u have the second pword !! ( 2 differeent passwords )

I never even know that you can easily go pass ofice encryption !!

Edited by D_block

It does ask for the password. Everything works as intended.

I just had a look again. Opening a simple 1.5MB pdf file, Foxit Reader uses 10268KB ram (private bytes/commit size), whereas AcroRd32.exe (latest vers of acrobar reader) uses 39572KB -- so 4x as much ram. Acrobat Reader also used about double the CPU time to launch, sucks about twice as much CPU cycles just sitting there idle, did about twice as many I/O reads, 18x the writes, nearly 3x as many page faults, etc. Just saying, Foxit is a LOT more optimized for speed/performance.

Edited by crahak