98 UPGRADE CDROM

thydreamwalker

:blink: I want to use 98 Upgrade CDROM found in archive store,but ViaApollo233MMX-system will not allow me to open the 98 Upgrade as easily,as the 98SE cdrom does; any suggestions???Tried with No O.S.-no go,Win95 will not and havenot tried my Old Win3.1or 3.11 files as of yet,but soon will of course! :wacko:

I'm not sure if there are different versions of the 98 upgrade or what-not, but the one I've had a chance to fiddle with is simply a full 98 installation that has an added check which makes it refuse to install if you don't have a previous operating system.

In fact, you could start up the installation on a fresh harddrive, and at some point it would simply ask you to insert the 95 CD just to verify that you actually have one, not even using it at all.

Theoretically, one could crack the installation to never require the presence of 95 at all.

To date, I haven't heard of a 3.11->98 update CD, but it's not as though I've made a thorough check or anything. One might exist (In theory, at least).

:blushing: Found Original "OEM (%A";but accidentally over wrote it when tring to use Win95C to add newer files.Win95A was "Slim" better than 95C would like to find another copy of Win95A(34mb floppy install or cdrom install "oem")as to 'Archive to my files...to use on and off'.Wishing for a Lucky Star? :whistle:

I'll repeat what I've said (and you seem to have missed): You don't actually need to install 95. You just need to prove you have it.

Start the 98 installation, and at some point it would ask for a 95 CD. Insert a 95 CD, doesn't matter which version, and that's it.

I'll repeat that: It doesn't matter which version of 95 you use. It doesn't actually use the files on the CD, it just wants to make sure you have it.

At least this is what I know from my upgrade CD. I advise you to test if yours is the same.

:whistle: Already just done that-now wish to test upgrading from Win95A to 98, so as to learn for myself :changes in progamming and etc.,etc.;...see this was what i meant by learning to upgrade different systems -"i just accidentally over formatted" instead of "Up-grading as i intended to do and save my 95A-files in a secure 7zip folder on Hdd'...... and my sole 95A files dsappeared forever more :wacko: ......but,thanks anyway :rolleyes: