Future nLite releases?

jmbattle

Hello folks,

With the release of nLite 1.4.6, I notice that the changelog is relatively small.

Apart from the ability to remove WinSxS and the final few services, it would appear that there isn't a great deal left for nuhi to remove from XP.

I remember stumbling upon nLite several years ago, and am a little curious as to the direction that will be taken in the future.

I know the suggestion has been ruled out in the past, however I wonder if there are any plans to opensource the programme, allowing nuhi to concentrate on vLite?

In addition, what else is there left to remove from XP?

Cheers,

James

x

WinSxS? Maybe you're mixing nLite and vLite :)

Judging by your signature "Notebook PC: nLite 1.0RC8 reduced WinXP with SP2..." you might not need an update after all ;)

There is no plan to remove anything, just bug fixes.

There will be no open source and there is no need for updates, it has a lot of functionality as it is and XP won't be going anywhere.

Edited by nuhi

WinSxS? Maybe you're mixing nLite and vLite :)

Judging by your signature "Notebook PC: nLite 1.0RC8 reduced WinXP with SP2..." you might not need an update after all ;)

There will be no open source and there is no need for updates, it has a lot of functionality as it is and XP won't be going anywhere.

My winsxs folder is at 32mb, not very large compared to vista which counts gigabytes. And yes, its XP.

I'd like to see a tweak to disable mouse acceleration, i'd be very happy with that.

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

This made my day :D

Anyway. There are bugs left? I mean... there really are bugs in nLite? :blink:

Give us list:)

Cheers for the responses chaps...you will be pleased to see that I have updated my signature.

Oh really? That is a shame, I was rather hoping that we would see further component removals for the remaining services etc.\

This is the point where I typically post a screenshot of the 'Services' applet, mentioning that I am able to remove the 'Disabled' services using the 'sc delete' command, then querying whether such functionality will be added to nLite in the near future.

clipboard01bt6.png

There we go! ;)

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

This made my day :D

Goodness, you must have had quite an eventful day!

Cheers,

James

x

Edited by jmbattle

TranceEnergy, I know that there is winsxs in XP as well but it is not removable as stated.

Where does it say it can be removed? I dont see that in your 1st post here.

In any case, it is prolly one of the good things to leave well alone anyway.

Also cryptographic services, can that not be removed? I run with it disabled always. Needed for updates etc, but windows updates can be "removed" so dont see why i need to have it.

Line is:

"Apart from the ability to remove WinSxS and the final few services, it would appear that there isn't a great deal left for nuhi to remove from XP."

Aha so it seems it was meant like a to-do. I was reading it wrong like it was done recently. Anyway WinSxS in XP is just runtimes, not inluding backup Windows files as in Vista.

What I would like to see in the future in nLite is not much more removals (there is little left to remove) but debugging and resolving the not-so-obvious internal Windows dependencies. Examples i've encountered:

- Tweaks not applied (I think Windows overrides them during the "applying settings/registering components" stage).

- Defrag with volume shadow copy (if VSS removed, there is complaint in the event log, although everything works fine).

- Sometimes services are not deleted or their startup state isn't set as desired (dnscache not deleted).

- Microsoft Update not removed (in system32 - cdm.dll, iupdate.dll, wu*.*)

- Let's try to unbind more unnecessary dependencies.

I know that most of the time this is not nLite's fault, but it would be nice to have workarounds (like for XP SP3).

GL

GrofLuigi, i know since i've asked nuhi, who is very smart, that some of these system files for dhcp/windows updates are still there, but they are for stability.

I found that some of them can actually be deleted, but delete the wrong one's, and you will reboot into a bluescreen.

However, i did that as an experiment, and JV16, reported over 2000 different registry entries (had already cleaned system, i rescanned it after deleting some system32 files, not many either), at its extreme settings, that could be deleted.

So there is definitively room for further optimization, as i doubt so much is needed for things to just "work".

I think the problem with getting more optimization done, is the time it takes to test things, and more importantly knowing what to test, to see if removing that extra system32 file breaks some functionality or not.

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 3 months later...

Hey

I' ve been using ME lite for years , but after years my ME became obsolete because many new programs

didn't run anymore onto this OS .

Each time I tried Windows2000 i was disghusted about this s*** , especially the administrator s***.

I was even more disghusted about XP.

About 8 monys ago i finally decided to go with Windows2000, i tried out hslip with Gurglemeyers SP5,

and also Nlite , after many tests i decuded to go for Nlite and finally after some time and a lot of swetting

i go a small Nlited Windows2000 that performed very well untill now.

A few weeks ago i started to nlite an XP SP and now i 've got a small ,155,8 Mb Nlited XP wit mediaplayer 11

installed,this works like acharm up to now, and it was even more swetting.

There are a few bugs in Nlite:

- when i nlited all in one piece i got runtime errors

- when i deleted keyboards, i was not able to install my keyboard, so finally i copiead my keyboard

over the US one and the problem was solved.

In the beginning I was very sceptic about Nlite, but now that i have experiance i say that Nlite is a

wonderfull program to slim down Windows to my needs and i thank Nuhi for this great work he has done.

I think also that there are so many different hardware windows is running onto that a compilation that

works onto one windows,probably will not work onto another computer,so there will always be a lot of

swetting to obain the desired results.

My wish is to remove al the administrator and logon schit like in the old days of tandy,trs 80 and apple,

Thanh You very much again Nuhi

icy