Customzing ViStart

njven

Well, I don't have much better to do, so I thought I'd offer a guide on tweaking ViStart to those that like the program, but didn't know they could tweak it and remove links.

ViStart can be changed by simply going to the (Program Files\ViStart) directory and editing the resources, settings.xml and rollover.

Rollover would be the picture the shows up at the top in the small box when you have selected an item. Make sure the pictures are 64x64. To make the picture show up you'll have to edit Settings.xml

Resources contain the pictures that make the background of ViStart. You can change the logoff buttons or even the background color if your any good with photo editting programs.

If you want some new ViStart skins, checkout (http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/) many great themes and also some nice skins.

Now the important part. The Settings file. You can change a few options by right clicking the ViStart icon in the system tray. If you know programming language it should be easy to understand. Anyway, here's mine, I'll explain what everything means.

<menu_options>
<strings>
<string id="strLogOff" value="Log Off"/>
<string id="strSwitchUser" value="Switch User"/>
<string id="strShutdown" value="Shutdown"/>
<string id="strRestart" value="Restart"/>
<string id="strStandBy" value="Stand By"/>
<string id="strHibernate" value="Hibernate"/>
<string id="strAllPrograms" value="All Programs"/>
<string id="strBack" value="Back"/>
<string id="strStartSearch" value="Start Search"/>
<string id="strAbout" value="About" />
</strings>

<variable id="DOCUMENTS" path="HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal"/>
<variable id="PICTURES" path="HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\My Pictures"/>
<variable id="MUSIC" path="HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\My Music"/>
<variable id="VIDEOS" path="HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\My Video"/>

<option name="%USERNAME% Documents" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\userfolder.png">
<arguement value="%DOCUMENTS%"/>
</option>

<option name="Pictures" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\pictures.png">
<arguement value="%PICTURES%"/>
</option>

<option name="Music" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\music.png">
<arguement value="%MUSIC%"/>
</option>

<option name="Videos" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\videos.png">
<arguement value="%VIDEOS%"/>
</option>

<option name="Search" shell="FindFiles" rollover="rollover\search.png"/>

<option name="Computer" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\computer.png">
<arguement value="::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"/>
</option>

<option name="Network" program="explorer" rollover="rollover\network.png">
<arguement value="::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"/>
</option>

<option name="Connect To" program="rundll32.exe" rollover="rollover\connect.png">
<arguement value="shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL ncpa.cpl"/>
</option>

<option name="Control Panel" program="control" rollover="rollover\control.png"/>

<option name="Run..." shell="FileRun" rollover="rollover\run.png"/>

</menu_options>

"Option Name" is the text that's displayed on the menu.

"Program" is the name of the program to be executed. Anything you can type in the "Run" prompt you can add in these quotes.

"Rollover" is the image that's displayed in the top right when you move the mouse over the item or highlight it.

"Arguement Name" is where you'd specify switches for a program if a certain program needs it.

"Shell" is the shell name of the program I guess? I'm not exactly sure on this.

%VARIABLE% are variables defined at the top. %DOCUMENTS% is set as the path to documents which is defined in the registry. This allows a link to documents on any computer even if there in the default location. For the most part, you won't need these unless you plan to configure Settings files for multiple computers.

<strings>

</strings>

Define the options that show up if you hit the expand arrow next to the shutdown button. I'm not sure if you an configure these to support custom options, I haven't gotten that far yet. These also show up on the system tray icon.

Just post the questions or suggestions, or tll me if this already exists =)

Here's how my final menu looks:

post-173628-1213331490_thumb.jpg

Edited by njven

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Very good tutorial.

Thanks a lot for the explanations.

I would like to make two questions, maybe you can teach me this:

1 - Is it possible to make Vistart to open a custom folder instead of the default Shell Folders? If yes, can you please teach me to do it?

2 - Can i resize the whole Vistart menu? To make it smaller for not having that empty space bellow?

Forgive me if I'm being unpolite in my way of puting the questions, but english is not my first language.

I thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Very good tutorial.

Thanks a lot for the explanations.

I would like to make two questions, maybe you can teach me this:

1 - Is it possible to make Vistart to open a custom folder instead of the default Shell Folders? If yes, can you please teach me to do it?

2 - Can i resize the whole Vistart menu? To make it smaller for not having that empty space bellow?

Forgive me if I'm being unpolite in my way of puting the questions, but english is not my first language.

I thank you in advance.

I tried ViStart and thought it much better and customizable than XP's own menu. However, I agree with #2 above.

You cannot resize ViStart. I abandoned it for that sole purpose. I couldn't stand the empty space on the right side.

I'm afraid I'll have to abandon it too.

I found the answer for the first question and yes, I can use custom folders and applications for the list on the right side. But, so far, I found no way to change the size of the menu.

But it is indeed an improvement in relation to xp default menu.

• 1 year later...

and about the text that pops up to shut down,log off, hibernate... your computer you can change what it says but everything else stays the same you can change everything on the vista start menu, I have even changed where the location of certain buttons opens up to:] you can add almost transperant buttons anywhere, and where the rollovers apear:]

Edited by ZMZ