SP3 on an nlite'd XP SP2 - firewall reactivated?

tomzi

I'd like to ask for insights from the knowledgeable members of this forum on following matter before I resort to a full reinstall of my XP.

I had an nlite'd XP SP2 (firewall removed, etc), network working perfectly in and out, and one day I decided to install SP3 over it. It completed fine, but after a few days I noticed that the pc stopped responding to incoming ping requests and remote desktop connections. I uninstalled the 3rd party firewall I had, suspecting a misconfiguration or bug causing this, but it didn't help. I'm still having unhindered outgoing traffic, but the pc is not responding to any incoming connections. It's as if windows firewall was still "protecting" my machine.

Because I removed the firewall service, I can't even try starting or configuring the firewall, and therefore I don't really know if its presence is the cause or not.

I think the simplest solution will be to reinstall XP, this time with a slipstreamed SP3. Before I do this, I'd still like to know whether someone could give me some clues how to find out what the matter really is?

Thank you for your reply, but with all respect, I think I'd mentioned that reinstalling would be the easiest option. I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity as to how to solve above problem. In fact, I've already slipstreamed and installed SP3 a couple of times.

Installing SP over lite installation is not supported. Think about what you're doing. Applying SP, which is almost whole full OS, over the trimmed OS. Of course it will return some stuff and possibly break something.

Slipstream, configure, reinstall.

Applying SP, which is almost whole full OS, over the trimmed OS. Of course it will return some stuff and possibly break something.

I tried it in a VM and it broke a lot of stuff. The least problem was that the 'lited away' components returned. :)

GL