Help With Windows 2000 Pro Specs

Hi

got an old laptop running good old windows 3.1. It has 128MB RAM (Upgradeable to 256MB though) , 3.2GB hard drive , Pentium 2 233mhz , floppy drive , USB cd rom drive ( the laptop didnt have a cd drive so ive purchased one as this is obviously required if i want 98 or 2000)

Im deciding between win98SE and windows 2000 pro.

Which one would run smoother?

I do understand that windows 98se is now out of support and that all the windows 2000 support is ending in july 2010. For this reason , as well as better usb support in 2k , i would prefer to go with 2k but i dont know whether the laptop will be ok with it

Help, much appreciated

Kindest Regards

Hi

got an old laptop running good old windows 3.1. It has 128MB RAM (Upgradeable to 256MB though) , 3.2GB hard drive , Pentium 2 233mhz , floppy drive , USB cd rom drive ( the laptop didnt have a cd drive so ive purchased one as this is obviously required if i want 98 or 2000)

Im deciding between win98SE and windows 2000 pro.

Which one would run smoother?

I do understand that windows 98se is now out of support and that all the windows 2000 support is ending in july 2010. For this reason , as well as better usb support in 2k , i would prefer to go with 2k but i dont know whether the laptop will be ok with it

Help, much appreciated

Kindest Regards

It should be ok with it. 2k only needs 64 meg of ram. 128 is ok but I would go more. 2k has more driver support than 9x. In the end the choice is yours to make.

It'll probably run both about the same, although boot time with Win2K will take far longer on a 233MHz proc than with Win9x. However, day-to-day operation experience will likely be the same.

It'll probably run both about the same, although boot time with Win2K will take far longer on a 233MHz proc than with Win9x. However, day-to-day operation experience will likely be the same.

How long is far longer lol:P

a couple of seconds , minutes , hours?

Hard to say, but probably tens of seconds, maybe a minute or so.

Hard to say, but probably tens of seconds, maybe a minute or so.

I can make do with a minute

il go with 2k then as its stll in extended support till july 2010