txtsetup.inf, SourcedisksFiles, SourceDisksNames

I've been reading all night, and trying to make sense of lines like the following:

[SourceDisksFiles]
satadriver.sys = 1,,,,,,?,4,1
satadriver.inf = 1,,,,,,?,20,1

Above, the seventh field ? (newfilename) is one of the things I'm thoroughly confused about. Per several documents I've read that the first seven fields are this:

sourcefile.ext = diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode,spare,spare,newfilename

However, per this image, this seventh field represents the [sourceDisksFiles] section which is outlined at the beginning of the txtsetup.inf file. _1 through 6_ all look like they equal the same thing. What's the difference? I see different values being used below, but I don't understand why they seam to equal the same thing from what is shown at the top of the file. It would be nice to find a link that completely explains the syntax of the entire line for a file in the [sourceDisksFiles] section.

The reason for this is I'm trying to add additional RAID drivers to my own CD's, but the info on the forums is very diluted and full of posts which contradict other posts, or have incompatible ideas. I'm following the method outlined in the unattended guide. They use 3_ for this field there, and I've read that _x means the file is uncompressed in the i386 folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting... I'm guessing if it is possible to achieve the same results posted in the Unattended Guide without adding the OemPnpDriversPath directive... The reason is if this directive is added to WINNT.SIF, repair option will be disabled, and I'd like to preserve this feature.

Thanks.

Edited by ponghy

Anyone? :(

I' like to correct part of the information said above: the repair option will be disabled because the existence of the WINNT.SIF file, not only the directive. In order to the repair option work (access to Recovery Console and so on), no answer file may exist.

However, per this image, this seventh field represents the [sourceDisksFiles] section which is outlined at the beginning of the txtsetup.inf file. _1 through 6_ all look like they equal the same thing. What's the difference? I see different values being used below, but I don't understand why they seam to equal the same thing from what is shown at the top of the file.

The setup first checks for [sourceDisksNames.*] and then for [sourceDisksNames]. This also happens with all other txtsetup.sif header like [sourceDisksFiles.*]! If you're running the setup on a x86 system, the entries in [sourceDisksNames.x86] are used but if there are no matches, [sourceDisksNames] is used.

Now search for [strings] and exit the search pane after the first hit, now scroll down. Here are the names used in [sourceDisksNames]. _1 to _6 and 1_ to 6_ are specifing the windows xp boot and setup floppy disks, but only on x86 systems. On all other systems [sourceDisksNames] is used and the entries there require only the "Windows XP Professional-CD", no floppy disks.

I don't know the differences between _1 and 1_, _2 and 2_, etc. also i don't know for sure what _x means!

It would be nice to find a link that completely explains the syntax of the entire line for a file in the [sourceDisksFiles] section.

filename_on_source = filestatus,1,2,3,4,5,diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode1,newfilename,newinstallcode2,6

filename_on_source = filestatus,1,2,3,4,5,diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode1,newfilename,newinstallcode2,6
bootvid.dll = 1, , , , , , 3_, 2, 0, 0, , 1,2
fastfat.sys = 100, , , , , , 5_, 4, 0, 0, , 1,4
tunga.ttf = 1, , , , , , , 22, 0, 0, , 1,22
diskdump.sys = 100, , , , , , , 4, 0, 0, , 1,4
admtoolW.chm = 1, , , , , , , 21, 0, 0,admtools.chm
adpu160m.sys = 1, , , , , , 4_, 4, 1, , , 1,4

filestatus can be 1 or 100 and is used to specify if source is vanilla or upgraded by a service pack. see [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksNames.*]

1 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this number. Thanks!

2 is the size of the decompressed file. this is not used in txtsetup.sif but in layout.inf

3 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this number. Thanks!

4 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this number. Thanks!

5 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this number. Thanks!

diskid is used when a floppy disk installation is used. (Or multiple CDs?). _x and _1 to _6 specify uncompressed source files, 1_ to 6_ specify compressed source files. If you are not sure what to use, leave this empty. see [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksNames.*]

subdir is the directory to which files are copied. see [WinntDirectories]

upgradecode is a single digit that is used if this is an upgrade from an earlier version. It specifies whether the file is copied during the text-mode portion.

0 - Always copies the file

1 - Copies the file only if it exists in the installation directory

2 - Does not copy the file if it exists in the installation directory

3 - Does not copy the file

newinstallcode1 is a single digit that is used if this is a fresh installation. It specifies whether the file is copied during the text-mode portion. The newinstallcode is optional; if it is not included, the file is not copied (code = 3).

0 - Always copies the file

1 - Copies the file only if it exists in the installation directory

2 - Does not copy the file if it exists in the installation directory

3 - Does not copy the file

newfilename is the name to which the file is renamed if it is copied. see [sourceDisksFiles] and [sourceDisksFiles.*]

newinstallcode2 is unknown.

6 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this number. Thanks!

---

reference:

1) txtsetup.sif on original windows xp setup cd

2) http://gosh.msfn.org/txtsetup.htm

3) msfn user derniwi

4) layout.inf on original windows xp setup cd

UPDATE: 11/28/08 added more information about diskid field

UPDATE: 11/28/08 added information about 2 field

Edited by an3k

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying to add some drivers to a Windows XP source, this just works a little bit fine. My problem is, I can't use such a CD (or ISO image) for creating an installation source on a RIS (Server 2003 SP2 in mixed mode). The added files (i.e. Intel S-ATA driver) are not copied to the server.

After checking some files (layout.inf) I think the unknown paramter 2 is the size of the expanded file in bytes.

Best regards, Nils.

• 10 years later...

So... 10 years later... did you guys ever resolve this?

Surprisingly, I find myself in the same boat as the original poster!

Where did this conversation go. Another thread somewhere?

29 minutes ago, johnrw said:

So... 10 years later... did you guys ever resolve this?

Surprisingly, I find myself in the same boat as the original poster!

Where did this conversation go. Another thread somewhere?

It's in an3k's signature:

jaclaz