Windows XP SP3 slipstreaming wrap-up

BikinDutchman

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda resurrecting.

Retail SP2 cd should not have these glitches, as you call them?

edit: is there anything else that doesn't get updated maybe? There's plenty od files dated around 2003 or older.

Edited by FuttBuck

Kinda resurrecting.

Retail SP2 cd should not have these glitches, as you call them?

edit: is there anything else that doesn't get updated maybe? There's plenty od files dated around 2003 or older.

FuttBuck: I do not have the retail SP2. It should be better than a slipstreamed SP0 or SP1 but I believe that my miniguide will lead to the same result.

-Other thoughts welcome; and I will include suggestions in the mini-guide as needed.

I did the following to detect the files that are really obsolete:

-Slipstreamed RTM > SP3

-Slipstreamed RTM > SP2 >SP3

-I compared both folder sets with a synchronization program (ViceVersa) and that shows clearly what is no longer updated: only the old RDP client.

I dug SP1 corp cd with SP3 slipstreamed from deeps of my hdd in the end. Gonna give it a shot in VirtualPC now :)

So in the end the changes are not that big.. I am surprised though. It's Microsoft after all :P

Besides the Deploy, Support and RDP client, you'll need to update the Web-based RDP Client too for the built-in IIS

web-server.

Moreover, I don't think SP3 included the updated MUI for SP3 KB942766-v6-x86 that is used only for

Win XP Pro and not the home version since home can't do MUI's.

I've integrated both the SP3 MUI hotfix and the KB936929 SP3 Debug version into a Win XP Pro SP2 that was

slipped by Nlite without problems.

I was wondering about the "cmpnents" subdirectory leftover when I used Nlite v1.4.7final too! This may be

a leftover from Nlite after it extracts SP3 temporarily, but it forgets to remove this temporary directory. The "TABLET" directory

is used if one has a Win XP Tablet version of XP that is being slipped and after slipping I think the whole "cmpnent" directory

needs to be removed.

You'll need to update the Web-based RDP Client too for the built-in IIS web-server.

Moreover, I don't think SP3 included the updated MUI for SP3 KB942766-v6-x86 that is used only for

I was wondering about the "cmpnents" subdirectory leftover when I used Nlite v1.4.7final too! This may be

a leftover from Nlite after it extracts SP3 temporarily, but it forgets to remove this temporary directory. The "TABLET" directory

is used if one has a Win XP Tablet version of XP that is being slipped and after slipping I think the whole "cmpnent" directory

needs to be removed.

Mikesw: Thanks for info, agree there are many more things obsolete in the WinXP-SP3 as I created. My goal was to create a folder that was most up to date, given the tools MS provides. If the RTM version of WinXP SP3 is ever released we may further fine-tune. I put effort in this to create a starting point for nLite modifications as clean as possible after we encountered problems discussed here.

Integrating tswebsetup.exe is a windows 5.2 component and would, imho, be a slipstreaming issue typically taken care of by nLite.

KB942766-v6-x86 is a borderline case since it is listed as an update to SP3; I will look into that one to see if direct integration works.

Likewise there is, in the meantime, a slew of SP3 fixes reported here.

-Those are not the regular security updates and apply for special cases. I am not sure what to do about that.

RE: the Components folder: I think it can be deleted but netfx.cab is actually specified in Dosnet.inf. I would be best to take all related Dosnet entries out; I have become very cautious about potential copy, registration and signing errors during windows install, you never know what else is screwed up.

Likewise there is, in the meantime, a slew of SP3 fixes reported here.

-Those are not the regular security updates and apply for special cases. I am not sure what to do about that.

Thanks for the info; however, about three of the KB's can't be downloaded but only by emailing MSoft for them.

Direct integration in the SP3 install set makes only sense if you have the SP2 MUI already integrated. From what I see that is not so easy.

-It is probably meant to update already installed Windows XP Prof. SP2.

Regardless, the KB942766-v6-x86 integrates nicely in the WinXP-SP3 set (using /integrate). The updates appear to be all QFE but I would have expected GRD for a real SP3 extension :huh: .

I have no ides how the pack works: I see a small number of help (chm) files: those for RDP show foreign titles and mostly English explanation. That is supposed to fix the language problem in RDF, MMS etc. The others have script errors. I am not sure how that works out in the installation :) .

-Ant thoughts welcome.

Edited by BikinDutchman

Hi, thanks for this post, I joined the forums because of it!

I've been a user of nLite for years and, along with autopatcher, find it to be essential for IT life.

I just bought a great tablet from 2006, the TC1100.

I am integrating SP3 with nLite to get a fresh install, but will deviate from your guide where you delete tablet components.

I have the XP official MSDN disc with SP3.

I also have the 2 discs of XP Tablet edition 2005 SP2.

I of course have nLite which I will use to perform the slipstreaming.

I want to do a clean install and am curious whether I should:

1) attempt to use nLite to slipstream SP3 into the XP Tablet disc 1, then combine the tablet files from disc 2 into the iso

or

2) attempt to integrate the tablet components (I assume only on disc 2 of tablet xp 2005) into the MSDN SP3 disc

Any help about my approach to use nLite to integrate a clean SP3 install with Tablet would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-es

Edited by espi

I want to do a clean install and am curious whether I should:

1) attempt to slipstream SP3 into the XP Tablet disc 1, then combine the tablet files from disc 2 into the iso

or

2) attempt to integrate the tablet components (I assume only on disc 2 of tablet xp 2005) into the MSDN SP3 disc

I have no experience with Tablet, maybe someone else can help.

-The SP3 is for tablet as well so you can try sliptreaming on your disk 1, assuming it has the i386 or AMD64. Look if something has changed.

-I am not sure about combining the two disks. It might work if you copy the file set of the second into the first file set without overwriting any important files. I remember there have been posts about that.

Please keep the topic at nLite integration or they kick me out of the forum :unsure: .

I have no experience with Tablet, maybe someone else can help.

-The SP3 is for tablet as well so you can try sliptreaming on your disk 1, assuming it has the i386 or AMD64. Look if something has changed.

-I am not sure about combining the two disks. It might work if you copy the file set of the second into the first file set without overwriting any important files. I remember there have been posts about that.

Please keep the topic at nLite integration or they kick me out of the forum :unsure: .

Thanks for your quick response, appreciate it. I am continuing this discussion of slipstreaming SP3 through nLite and have edited my post to explicitly say that, thanks for the heads-up.

There are mixed messages about the ability to slipstream SP3 onto tablet or media center editions of XP.

I was hoping to use nLite (one of the best essential programs, IMO) to integrate SP3 into Tablet. If I could use the MSDN stock SP3 disc as the source files in nLite, and integrate the tablet components, I think I could create a SP3 Tablet disc as close to "stock from Microsoft" as possible.

If I need to carry out an original post on Tablet SP3 nLite integration on its own, I will. (I think best to err on the side of searching the forums and adding to your post, rather than starting yet another post on nLite SP3 integration and being told to search first)

• 2 weeks later...
and move *.htm moved in DOCS.

EH? Me cornfused! Help, please?

Also remove "MMC.CH_ MSRDP.CA_," I don't have that file unless it's supposed to read "MMC.CH_, MSRDP.CA_," which I think is correct since I have those two.

Edited by Ton80